Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
xpress
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

su points fuel pump mysteries

Post by xpress »

hi there. can someone come to my aid with a fuel pump picture showing me whatbto take off to remove it since I have forgotten.

do you remove the worm clip at the end of the flexi pipe to the su pump or turn out the hex nut?

and the bottom fixed pipe to the su pump do you turn the hex nut nearest the rad or furthest away?

also the points are tapping sluggishly when poked with a screwdriver. the points are pretty good. as far as I can see which is not much. Will a filter and diaphragm clean on the su pump restore good fast tapping of the points?

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: su points fuel pump mysteries

Post by les »

Just remove the flexible pipe and then remove the solid pipe by undoing it.

xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

right. more info needed.

remove the flexi pipe undoing the worm clip with a screwdriver?

remove the hard pipe with the hex nut nearest or furthest away from the rad?

do the gaskets or rubber rings need replacing on these points coming out of the su fuel pump?

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Not being sure of your situation I don't know how the connections are made but if there is a screwdriver slot in this clip then it would be safe to say undo it with said screwdriver! Remove the hard pipe at the pump using a spanner, there is no other way. All you need to do is remove all pipes going to the pump. the pump can then be removed.

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Disconnect battery ...safety first....petrol spillage and a sparks don't make for a good combination,Fire extinguisher to hand and do it out in the open air.Have plenty of rags underneath the joints.
Unless the washers have been replaced very recently, I would replace now.See the Moss catalogue on line for diagrams of what you need.Obtain from your favourite supplier.The filter can usually be cleaned and put back.Replace if damaged.
Bob
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

remove the hard pipe with the hex nut nearest or furthest away from the rad?..............................not sure what you are talking about,the pipe is no where near the rad. :-?
xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

there seems to be two hex nuts to choose from where the hard pipe goes into the su fuel pump. one is nearer to the rad than the other although nowhere near the rad. which one to put yhe spanner on?

secondly..... can the fuel filter be removed with the pump in situ.

I remember it being at the bottom middle of the pump. not easy to get to. has it been done?

xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

I am careful because I dont want to snap the hard pipe.

I might undo the flexible pipe with the worm clip. then try and lock the hex nut on the hard pipe with spanner and turn the fuek pump off by hand.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's it - hold one and carefully undo the other.
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

" turn the fuel pump off by hand "
We are talking about a standard SU electric pump( AUA 66 ) are we ?
In which case, battery disconnected, take the white wire ( power supply ) off of the pump and don't loose the nut and washer.

Diagram of the pump ? either http://www.moss-Europe.co.uk. ,
[url]www.sucarb.co.uk
http://www.burlen.co.uk [/url] ( the last two are the same company ).
Rags underneath, around the joints supply in ( the rigid pipe ) and out to carb ( flexible pipe ).Spray the nut and the worm drive on the clip beforehand , if they are crusty, with WD40 or Plus Gas ideally.
Clean ( maybe replace the filter, if broken ) but leave the diaphragm untouched.You may get away with cleaning the points.Draw a thin strip of fine sand paper through the points, both sides, with " very light " finger pressure keeping the points together.If they are beyond redemption, then replace.

If cleaning / replacing the points doesn't restore "full service "... only then consider replacing the diaphrargm.When the diaphragm " splits / lets go " no fuel gets through and the points are trying very hard to get the petrol through, but not succeeding.
Replace washers in the rebuild and clean the ring terminal end of the white wire before re-connecting.
Double check everything done up good and tight and then reconnect battery.
When restarting, first position on the starter key and let the pump pull the petrol through the system, refilling the pipe to the carb.When the ticking stops then you can fire up the engine.
Bob
xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

thanks all and thanks to bob for that refresher. so many things competing for my grey matter it's good to revise.

will get onto it and let you know how it goes.