Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
flowersGTR
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Suspension Geometry / Wheel sticking out

Post by flowersGTR »

Hi All,
I don't post on here that often but i'm usually in the background reading the discussions and threads that come up.

But now I've come across a problem that im really not sure what to make of. My passengers side front wheel appears to be sticking out of the wing slightly. I do have 185 width tyres on minilites so obviously they are wider tyres but on the drivers side the wheel is flush with the inside of the arch. i've attached a few photos below to show what I mean.
I've tried measuring the top of the wheel in relation to the wing and it appears to be sticking out 1.5 -2.0 cm.

I have put a 3mm spacer under the eyebolt a while ago because the wheel looked to have an excessive amount of positive camber, It helped the camber a bit so the wheel looks to be straight if a little positive now. I also polybushed the suspension last year so bushes should be in good condition.

What do you guys think it could be? because of the positive camber it makes me think something might be wrong with the top link.
could there me a non genuine part that is of a different length?
How could i tell? is there something I can measure?
Thanks
58HP at the wheels and 75 HP at the flywheel
flowersGTR
Minor Friendly

Re: Suspension Geometry / Wheel sticking out

Post by flowersGTR »

Sticking out

Drivers side OK

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It won't be any 'wrong length' arm etc - it will just be chassis leg variation and indeed wing variation! The chassis leg thing is somewhat confirmed by the fact you had to add a washer to get rid of excessive +ve camber. To be honest - I would be tempted to add a thin spacer (between wheel and hub) to the other side - so they both look the same ! I assume the wheels are tracked ok??
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

But I think wheels need to be within the arches or they are illegal :-?
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I've been playing a lot with very similar things recently.

I'd say a thin spacer as bmcecosse suggests, and go down to 175 tyres on the front. Keeping your well treaded front tyres as spares for the rear.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

What power plant are you using? Do you need those big tyres? Why not go back to standard 145 / 155 and not have any problem.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Robert,

What hubs do you have? If they are disc braked ones the outset can be greater than standard, for example the disc braked Midget hubs put the wheel about 3/8" further out each side.

With the combination of negative camber trunnions, Midget hubs and 5 1/2" wheels, the centre of the front wheel on ours is 2" further out than standard each side, then add in 185/70x13 tyres and like yours the edge of the tyre projects very slightly beyond the edge of the wing, but is JUST within the wing profile at the rear, as the additional outset is less at about 1 1/4" (the additional offset of the wider wheel only) each side.
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I doubt anyone will pull you up for that tiny amount of tread showing. Maybe pull the wing out slightly! If you hold a long straight edge (good straight 4 X 2 - something like that) against the wheel - pointing back, how does it compare with the rear wheel on each side? Are you SURE all the wheels are identical offset?
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I'm pleased somebody else has stumbled upon the greatness of black minilites too! :D
[frame]Image[/frame]

Islip Minor. Most disc kits seem to space the wheel mounting face out a bit. I found about 10mm per side when I converted to Marina discs. I believe the Ford kits space it further still.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

chrisryder wrote:I'm pleased somebody else has stumbled upon the greatness of black minilites too! :D
They are better than silver... I will give you that :lol:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Only on a light coloured car....... personally - I like the wheels to be body colour
see below....... VVVVVV :lol:
ImageImage
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

They arn't on the pump trolley BMC...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They are in real life.......
ImageImage
flowersGTR
Minor Friendly

Post by flowersGTR »

Thanks for the replys everyone.
I have the Ford vented disk set up on the car so I guess that is spacing the wheel out some what.
Also comparing it to the wing may not be the best measure as like bmcecossie it can vary a bit, it just appeared a lot more compared to the other side.

Richard
Where did you get negative camber trunnions from out of interest?

Chris
Yeah black minilights are pretty cool, would be tempted by original looking wheels if they were wide enough.

I was under the impression that the wheels had to be within the arches to be legal buts its passed its MOT fine twice now with these wheels.

The wheel sticking out isn't a problem as such was just trying to improve it a bit and was concerned it might be a symptom of something being bent or out of alignment.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There obviously is some tiny bit of misalignment, but you can argue the tread is inside if stopped - and that bit is just sidewall !
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well it shouldn't be any different from the other side, that's for sure. Rather than letting it go I'd want to know why, and start by checking distance from outer side of the chassis rail (directly under eye bolt) to the wheel rim at the bottom, on each side. The top link is connected to the shock absorbers so unless that has moved not much can alter the top of the wheel. Maybe a replacement chassis rail has been fitted to one side and been put on wrong. You really need a centre line down the length of the car and measure from that to each rail in turn. My bet would be a you'd find a difference. If it is a rail then you would have to shift it to get things right. It would drive me crazy driving it like that!