Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mickeytwonames
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Is there a FIX?

Post by mickeytwonames »

I have a leak from the gear box into the clutch bell housing. It's a 948 gearbox and I have been told that the seal on the motion shaft is a metal on metal one. I can't get hold of a new part - is there a possible 'bodge' to get round the problem?
The engine is currently out!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Is there a FIX?

Post by bmcecosse »

Are you sure it's leaking in from the gearbox? Not from the rear of the crank?? There is a modified front plate with seal for the later 1098 box - but I don't see one for the 948. Frankly - best option is to upgrade to a 1098 gearbox - it's a much better box.
ImageImage
mickeytwonames
Minor Fan

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks - will try to source one
Romek
Minor Friendly

Post by Romek »

Try Hardy Engineering in Leatherhead. They sold me a replacement cover with a rubber vw seal they machined into it (replacing the old scroll seal). I also picked up a new seal for the prop shaft end while I was at it. Mine's a 1098 box for which they had the parts from stock, but they may well be able to help you out, surprisingly good value as well. I'd definitely echo bmcecosse though, make sure its not coming out the back of the engine - I only changed mine to be safe, as the engine seems a more likely culprit.

'69 Traveller project