Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bushhouse
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Hole drilling location for brake fluid remote reservoir

Post by bushhouse »

Dear All,

Having read a few topics about positioning of remote reservoirs and leaky connection pipes, I have decided to go ahead with the remote reservoir. I intent to mount it on the small strengthening panel close above the bump stop. My question is where to drill a hole in the chassis leg through which to feed the plastic pipe backwards to the master cylinder. Any help / pics would be of great help. Thanks.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Hole drilling location for brake fluid remote reservoir

Post by Declan_Burns »

You , like me and many others, will regret fitting the plastic pipe. They sweat brake fluid and are not fit for purpose. Not very good for your paintwork. A copper pipe is better. On the MG I used Goodridge braided brake hose instead. I mounted it on the battery box on the Moggy.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
flowersGTR
Minor Friendly

Post by flowersGTR »

I had the remote reservoir installed by ESM with the rubber pipe and it has worked fine with no leaks. However, I also have the hydraulic clutch conversion which used a rubber hose and no matter the size of the zip tie or jubilee clip I used it leaked..alot.
I eventually brought a braided hose with screw on adapters into the clutch master cylinder and the resvoir (see Link)
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... s_id=10561
rally design can cut the pipe to size
you could do this for the brake but you will need an adapter to go into the brake master cylinder. ESM sold me one a few years ago when I was in the shop but dont know if you'll find it on their website.
as regards location i assume you mean on the inner wing on the engine bay side as opposed to the wheel side.
mine is on the baukhead at the moment
i can try and get a pic tomorrow if i have time
58HP at the wheels and 75 HP at the flywheel
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Flowers,
That's exactly what I used.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
bushhouse
Minor Friendly

Post by bushhouse »

Thanks all. Not sure but looks like the braided pipe is the way to go me thinks. What about the chassis leg entry - drill or not to drill that is the question ? Thanks all once again.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why do you need a remote reservoir? Seems a LOT of work (and expense) for little (if any) advantage....
ImageImage
flowersGTR
Minor Friendly

Post by flowersGTR »

bushhouse wrote:Thanks all. Not sure but looks like the braided pipe is the way to go me thinks. What about the chassis leg entry - drill or not to drill that is the question ? Thanks all once again.
Mine was drilled, dont forget a rubber grommit. if the fluid resevoir is low on fluid, leaking or not secured properly then it will probs be an MOT failure as well
58HP at the wheels and 75 HP at the flywheel
bushhouse
Minor Friendly

Post by bushhouse »

Thanks all, where in the chassis leg did you drill you entry or exit hole ? Thanks once again
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

That depends on what system you are using. The instructions for the "sweaty" plastic pipe version says 3 to 4 inches behind the M/C as the hose must turn 180° to come back to the spigot on the rear of the M/C. If you are using the "better" braided hose version, the banjo comes out at 90° directly behind the M/C. De-Burr the hole and use some touch up paint to protect the chassis before fitting the grommet.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan