Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Maximas
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Cylinder head advice

Post by Maximas »

I am looking at a moggy next week...the owner has told me that the head was done a few hundred miles ago...if this a good thing or should I be looking into this a bit more...any advice would be good..thanks in advance...
PhilR
Minor Fan

Re: Cylinder head advice

Post by PhilR »

I guess it depends why it was done. Its not uncommon for the cylinder head gaskets to blow however it would be good to have a receipt or more details as to what was actually done. Was the head replaced or refurbished as part of the change etc.
I'd ask plenty of questions and take someone with you who knows their onions when you view it.
Maximas
Minor Friendly

Post by Maximas »

Aparently it was skimmed... :D
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

In my experience, the reasons for skimming a head are (a) to repair a defect that has arisen and (b) to try and increase compression. (a) is by far the most common; and the need typically arises due to running with a blown head gasket or warping due to overheating - which results in a blown gasket anyway. As long as the block was not damaged, a properly skimmed head properly refitted can give many more years/miles of good service.

What you need to know is why was it skimmed? It's not something that would normally be done except as part of a full reconditioning or as above. What else was done to rectify the root cause of the skimming, and was anything else done whilst the head was off - guides, valves, seats, etc?

Unfortunately, there is not a simple test that will tell you how long the head will last - I have had new head gaskets fail after a few hundred miles, and then, without any other work on the engine, last for 80,000+ miles. What is the rest of the engine, and indeed, car, like? This may give a good indication of what to expect. When inspecting the vehicle, I would do a compression test as that will confirm the state of the engine at the time of inspection.

So, sorry, no easy answer. There may be an underlying problem or it could be a perfect engine for many years.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - the cylinder head is the least of the worries. Consider more the body condition - looking for RUST. Under the back seat/in the boot/under the carpets - and of course - underneath! Engines are plentiful and cost v little compared to rust repairs. Let's see some pictures!!
ImageImage