Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Leaking oil, rattling when hot

Post by bmcecosse »

Scare mongering again! These oils are heated under high vacuum to remove any water/fuel etc - and then pressure filtered to a very fine standard. And additives mixed in as necessary to achieve the rating. The negative pressure on your hand is definitely a good sign though! Maybe just poorly fitted gaskets and joints...let's hope so! But your temperature is high - you need to find out why........ Is this a Marina engine??
ImageImage
hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

I wasn't aware there were any seals on the crank shaft? Isn't it a helix arrangement that draws the oil back? Are rubber or cork gaskets best for the sump? I wouldn't mind having a poke at the timing chain anyway, see if that's a bit loose and causing the rattle. Changing the gasket would be a good excuse.

I wonder why it's been fine for so long, then such a drastic leak. Anyway, I'll replace the gaskets and fingers crossed that might sort it.

Roy, it is a marina engine, with the upwards oil filter. I think it's got a metro head though. Maybe an oil cooler would be a good idea? I believe you can get something like this https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mo ... bsp-m-sp-1 to go between the filter and the block.

Would the temperature be higher with plain water rather than 50/50 coolant in the radiator? I haven't got around to replacing it properly (plus, was avoiding it in case I had to pull the engine out). I had it going at 60-70 mph and it didn't go above 80, but sometimes it just slips higher on the motorway...
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Your leaks are probably just from the sump and front cover gasket,just get under and try nipping up the nuts all round the sump(Just half a turn each un less they are obviously very loose) its possible that they haven't been tightened up properly by the 'RE CON MAN'same with the front cover. Try this before removing anything. Your over heating may be simply a silted up radiator,nothing to do with the engine,try back flushing it. Try starting the engine and getting it just warmed up,Ie top hose hot ,switch off and feel all over the radiator with your hand,it should be warm/,hot to the touch all over the whole of the vanes,if you feel a cold area anywhere,this would indicate a blockage,but after a while it will all heat up by heat transfer,so has to be done quickly after just warming and switching off(Obviously don't try with the engine running unless you want to lose a finger or two :D )
Could also be a faulty thermostat, take it out and put it in a pan of water and bring to the boil see if it opens fully. good luck
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You shouldn't need an oil cooler - it's not highly modified! I just asked about Marina in case the filter hadn't been installed correctly - obviously not a concern with Marina. Well worth checking the rad as above. A Minor rad should have absolutely no difficulty holding the temp rock steady just above thermostat rating, even on a Mway incline in the warmest day. Is the 'rattle' perhaps pinking/detonation?
ImageImage
hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think there was some pinking, sounded like a ballbearing in a tin can, and kind of uneven, but that was only high load. I've retarded it a little, see if it goes away.

But the main rattle I was worried about seems to go away when I push the engine and at idle, only a narrow power band when it occurs, which has since got much narrower with the oil change/breather hose cabletying.