won't start - now intermittent loss of power

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Re: won't start - now intermittent loss of power

Post by LouiseM »

The garage had other pre-booked work to do before looking at the traveller but have now confirmed that the head gasket had blown between 3 & 4. The gasket wasn't a copper one but I bought one at the National so that has now been fitted, although the head needed a skim too.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Nickol wrote:pints...gallons.....mph....mpg.....
Roy, you are in Scotland - you belong to the world ..what are These strange measurements ? :D :D
Nickol, these are simple UK measurements. I could refer you to chains,furlongs and many more. All part of my education in the '60'sand '70's. I learned to use metric when I was borehole logging and it was much easier but in my mind I still convert metric to imperial.
I can visualise a pint (of course!)or a mile or a pound weight but can't do the same with kilos or kilometres.
Incidentally, a chain is the length of a cricket wicket...something else that is almost impossible to explain!
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

For those who haven't already read this lengthy thread (or can't be bothered!) there's an intermittent problem which has been causing my traveller (Eric) to cut out. Sometimes it occurred during a short drive, other times I could drive for miles without a problem, so it has been really difficult to diagnose. Initial thoughts were that it was electrical but more recently it was looking more likely to be a fuel problem (happened under load but not when idling). Various parts have been changed, different tests tried and a variety of fellow Minor owners have tried to resolve the problem at the last few National rallies but all to no avail.

Anyway, Eric was due for an MOT so I asked the garage to look at the cutting out problem. It's taken almost 2 weeks of extensive road testing waiting for him to break down (funny how he always breaks down when I don't want him to!) but he finally did, approaching a busy roundabout. Turns out that there was a break in one of the small wires going to the coil. I collected him yesterday afternoon and all seems fine now. A big thank you to everyone who has offered advice here, stuck their head under the bonnet to try to fix the problem at National rallies or stopped to help at the side of the road when I broke down - much appreciated. Fingers crossed that this year will be the one where I don't arrive at the National on the back of a tow truck :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Good news (at last) Louise!! Fingers crossed.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Everything crossed for you. It has been a saga almost as long as the Icelandic ones. I will be going down the M11 towards Tulley's so hopefully i won't see you on the hard shoulder !! (If I do I will stop - promise!)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Wow! You must be relieved, Louise, to have sorted this at last! Just goes to show how a simple fault can be soooo difficult to diagnose at times. At least it was a cheap and easy fix. Well done you for sticking with it. I can only imagine the awful frustration you must have had with all this.....
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Intermittent faults do take time, maybe not two years though! I had the very same fault occur but with a fuel pump wire, in fact I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread. A main dealer took six weeks to locate it! As in your case its a worry because the car could play up when pulling out of a junction etc, not a good situation. You can rest easy now.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

thats good news louise i had the same problemback in march the wire came out of the spade connector on the coil , this happened on the m25 near the reading turn off . everything stopped and i managed to get on the slip road and did a tempary repair to get home , then did a better job when i got home
[sig]5641[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Hope it's not put you off the car mi'duck, Our trav is still touring the country with the Financial Times. Getting well over a thousand now I think and still being good, touch wood.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Sorry,dialect doesn't really work on these things. Looks ridiculous!
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Louise,
I sent you a PM in May, as you are one of the moderators, about a cluster of my posts, but you are not reading your PMs - please do so.
Regards, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

gtt1951 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:51 pm Louise,
I sent you a PM in May, as you are one of the moderators, about a cluster of my posts, but you are not reading your PMs - please do so.
Regards, George.
As Louise hasn't logged in since Sat Dec 22, 2018 at 6:54, over 10 months ago, I doubt you'll get a quick response....
Basil the 1955 series II

gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Is she OK?
G.