Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ashleywakeling
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Leaky Rear Diff

Post by ashleywakeling »

Hello lovely very helpful people!

Florence has passed her MOT (hurrah!), unfortunately one of the advisories was that the differential has a 'slight' oil leak that i'd describe as much heavier than that. We managed 370 milesreturn to Peterborough and have trundled around locally but I think it certainly needs doing now. Which parts do I replace and how do I replace them?

It looks to be coming out of the prop-shaft side of the differential so we're presuming rear hub oil seal? Is it just a case of lopping the rear end off the prop-shaft off and taking it all apart once I've drained the remaining diff oil? Or is it slightly more complex than that?

Thanks in advance!
Ashley & Julia
"Florence" 1964 Grey(ish) 2 Door Saloon

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Leaky Rear Diff

Post by bmcecosse »

You can try that - but the nut 'should' be really tight -although in all probability it will be loose. You also don't want a rear hub oilseal - you'll need the oil seal for the final drive pinion (the 'differential' is inside and can't leak....). There is also a collapsible spacer in there which is intended to set the preload on the pinion - you can try just tightening the nut (really tight!) but it may not be correct and may whine or moan. Worth a try though! And do drain the axle and refill with EP90.
Item 72 here -part 88G320 http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... exID=17078
ImageImage
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

normally a few diffs on ebay or try here in the wanted
ashleywakeling
Minor Friendly

Post by ashleywakeling »

Nope, the filler plug wouldn't come out, so for the time being I've put 1/3 litre in through the breather, just to make sure it doesn't seize whilst pottering around. Ordered the seal you advised, plus the gearbox one as I'll soon be having a clutch fitted. May as well do the whole lot at once really :)
Ashley & Julia

sansvalo
Minor Friendly

Post by sansvalo »

Hello, I got a leak as well, it seems to be leaking from the top. How did you put oil through the breather? Do I need to tighten all screws around the diff cover to stop it, or gasket will be mandatory to buy? Thank you.
ashleywakeling
Minor Friendly

Post by ashleywakeling »

helloo!

i managed to manufacture a kind of pump from a commercial washing up liquid bottle top. attach some pipe and it pressurises and pumps in. Then used a white cable tie to push it down into the diff to check the level. Mine hadn't leaked half as much as I expected so whatever you do, don't over fill because itll throw it back out the breather and youll think youve got an awful leak!

Hope that helps!
Ashley & Julia

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Overfilling risks flooding the rear brakes with oil = more expense. . The filler plug WILL come out - it lives in an oily environment - try try again...
ImageImage