Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rogerowen
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Steering - Oil or Grease?

Post by rogerowen »

Just replacing N/S steering gaiter and it looks like the rack has been pumped with grease although the manual says EP90 oil - but names the nipple on the rack as a 'greaser' :-?
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Steering - Oil or Grease?

Post by les »

Ep90 is recommended but some have used grease, I prefer oil as apart from it being specified for the Minor, feel it has more chance of spreading along the rack.

rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

les wrote:Ep90 is recommended but some have used grease, I prefer oil as apart from it being specified for the Minor, feel it has more chance of spreading along the rack.
Thanks. Is there only one lubrication point - the one accesible through a plug in the N/S toe board? on my car the nipple dosen't quite line up with the hole (it's angled a bit higher than the hole). Can the rack be twisted a bit to line it up - or is that fixed by the steering column?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Only one nipple and they all seem to be misaligned with the hole. As you have figured the column fixes the position.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I prefer grease! All later racks of exactly the same construction are spec'd for grease... It doesn't run away and hid in the boots!
ImageImage
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

The rack is supposed to have EP90 oil in it. If you do not have an oil gun which works with the nipple, then simply unbolt the nipple and give the rack 20 squirts of EP90.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That took longer than usual CJ ! You been away?? :)
ImageImage
dalgrae
Minor Fan

Post by dalgrae »

I have taken out my rack from my series 2 which is really easy and does not even need the front wheels to be removed , as I said when I did mine I placed the rack vertical in the vice and pumped EP90 into it from lock to lock I then pumped in some grease to hopefully seal in some of the EP90 ,I then turned the rack up the other way in the vice and with the thrust bearing removed put some more EP90 in ,then I did an easy modification by fitting a new grease nipple to the bottom face of the thrust bearing and the pumped in some grease .So hopefully I have trapped the oil in the middle of the rack and sealed each end with grease ,plus I can now put further oil/grease into both sides of the rack as it now has 2 grease nipples fitted ,so far nothing has leaked out
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Excellent - I do actually agree with you - a mix of oil and grease is probably the ideal lubricant! :lol:
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'll vote for that too.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

I'm just about to do my steering rack gaiters but on both sides :) and well I'm kind of debating what way to go down it :roll:
The gaiters are easy enough to do :) I have also bought two new TRE to fit but now wondering weather I should go oil or grease in the rack :S not really got the time or room for taking the full rack out so not sure

P.S sorry if I've stolen your thread :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

MoggyBlue wrote:I'm just about to do my steering rack gaiters but on both sides :) and well I'm kind of debating what way to go down it :roll:
The gaiters are easy enough to do :) I have also bought two new TRE to fit but now wondering weather I should go oil or grease in the rack :S not really got the time or room for taking the full rack out so not sure

P.S sorry if I've stolen your thread :oops:
General opinion leads to a mixture of oil and grease. What I'm doing is manually smother the exposed parts (when old gaiters are of) with grease (multi purpose) winding lock to get to as much as possible, then remove the grease nipple that on the N/S (which is not really usable for oil/grease gun as it does not line up through the hole in the toe board, and give a good 20 squirts of EP90.

Actually getting the larger end of the new gaiter to slip over the rack can be a bit tricky as it will get slippery with grease - best method I've found is to get a fairly blunt screwdriver and gently push it up the inside of the gaiter and use it to guide an edge up over the lip of the rack. If you have a CV boot tool and thin metal clips - that would make the job a lot easier. Otherwise cable ties will work, but you'll need to get a tight fit. :P :P
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You'll also need to find gaiters that will last longer than 6 months.......
ImageImage
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

bmcecosse wrote:You'll also need to find gaiters that will last longer than 6 months.......
Now that is a tall order! Maybe there's some old new stock somewhere :P
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

bmcecosse wrote:You'll also need to find gaiters that will last longer than 6 months.......
Haha and where would we find such a thing Mr BMC :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

rogerowen wrote:General opinion leads to a mixture of oil and grease. What I'm doing is manually smother the exposed parts (when old gaiters are of) with grease (multi purpose) winding lock to get to as much as possible, then remove the grease nipple that on the N/S (which is not really usable for oil/grease gun as it does not line up through the hole in the toe board, and give a good 20 squirts of EP90.

Actually getting the larger end of the new gaiter to slip over the rack can be a bit tricky as it will get slippery with grease - best method I've found is to get a fairly blunt screwdriver and gently push it up the inside of the gaiter and use it to guide an edge up over the lip of the rack. If you have a CV boot tool and thin metal clips - that would make the job a lot easier. Otherwise cable ties will work, but you'll need to get a tight fit. :P :P
Hmmm yeah that's what I was thinking just wasnt sure how I'd go about that as knowing it would be hell trying to fill with oil (it has oil in originally)

And so your saying is full lock to left and grease the rack and then full lock right and pack everywhere else?

And when you say 20squirts is that out the ep90 bottle?
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Hmmm yeah that's what I was thinking just wasnt sure how I'd go about that as knowing it would be hell trying to fill with oil (it has oil in originally)

And so your saying is full lock to left and grease the rack and then full lock right and pack everywhere else?

Yes, probably don't need to overdo the grease - just enough to give it a good coating. Don't forget to give the ball joint that comes from the rack a good dollop (waggle the rod around so you can pack it all around the ball).

For the oil into the nipple port - remove the nipple (small fingers!), and use an oil can (lever type) and give 20 or so squirts. Nipple back in and mark the oil can so that in future you'll know that it's loaded with EP90. :D :D
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

AND...... A word of warning! Don't attempt to load grease into the ball joint (track rod end) before assembling it to the rod, leave that till it's firmly in place on the car. :o

WHY? ... Cos, if you overdo it you'll blow the small clip off the ball joint gaitor. I've done it!!! and it's a right pain trying to get it back on again :evil:
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

rogerowen wrote:AND...... A word of warning! Don't attempt to load grease into the ball joint (track rod end) before assembling it to the rod, leave that till it's firmly in place on the car. :o

WHY? ... Cos, if you overdo it you'll blow the small clip off the ball joint gaitor. I've done it!!! and it's a right pain trying to get it back on again :evil:
Hahahaahaha :lol: thanks for the warning :lol: so have it on the tie rod and then lock nut on tight then grease? And also how much is to much grease :-?
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

rogerowen wrote:Hmmm yeah that's what I was thinking just wasnt sure how I'd go about that as knowing it would be hell trying to fill with oil (it has oil in originally)

Yes, probably don't need to overdo the grease - just enough to give it a good coating. Don't forget to give the ball joint that comes from the rack a good dollop (waggle the rod around so you can pack it all around the ball).

For the oil into the nipple port - remove the nipple (small fingers!), and use an oil can (lever type) and give 20 or so squirts. Nipple back in and mark the oil can so that in future you'll know that it's loaded with EP90. :D :D
Oh right ok that's fine :lol: and yeah just getting my first grease gun :D :lol: so fingers crossed it goes well :wink: :lol: wish me luck :lol:

By the way when it comes to the track rod ends I was thinking put some grease in the nipple and just get some grease round the joint and then fit it in and then pack it or am I just being stupid :-?