Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PaulTubby
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

correct master cylinder?

Post by PaulTubby »

Hi all, is the later type 13/16 master cylinder okay to use on a 1962 standard 7 inch drums all round with servo or do I need the earlier type?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: correct master cylinder?

Post by bmcecosse »

No!! Concours car - must be correct! And a servo in a concours car - you are joking..... :roll:
ImageImage
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

[quote="bmcecosse"]No!! Concours car - must be correct! And a servo in a concours car - you are joking..... :roll:[/quo

Yes a servo which was fitted as a optional extra as well as the optional extra heater it was fitted with and have the bill of sale.. you not very helpful with these remarks Roy..
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I may be wrong but I get the impression Roy has little time for concours. :D In fact I'm not too keen, as I found it hard to get my hand up the exhaust pipe with the polishing rag :D

PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

les wrote:I may be wrong but I get the impression Roy has little time for concours. :D In fact I'm not too keen, as I found it hard to get my hand up the exhaust pipe with the polishing rag :D
I don't polish inside the exhaust pipe Les, there is different levels of concours and ocd.. I just like my car how I like it...
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'm only pulling your leg Paul! :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sorry Paul - i'll stopping picking at the concours thing.... I like to see a nicely restored car when it's been done by the owner - and certainly NOT when it's been done by a cheque book.... But the OTT concours thing just leaves me cold -even more so when it's acceptable for them to arrive on trailers!!! Very sad indeed.... Was a servo ever offered by BMC as a factory option on a Minor ???
ImageImage
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

bmcecosse wrote:Sorry Paul - i'll stopping picking at the concours thing.... I like to see a nicely restored car when it's been done by the owner - and certainly NOT when it's been done by a cheque book.... But the OTT concours thing just leaves me cold -even more so when it's acceptable for them to arrive on trailers!!! Very sad indeed.... Was a servo ever offered by BMC as a factory option on a Minor ???
Hi Roy, the MMOC will NOT allow a car into concours to be judged if trailered, look at the concourse section and rules for 2015... and my car was exported to new Zealand and was a option yes.. also I have fitted poly bushes and stainless bolts, these improve the car and if I loose the odd point here or there I can live with it!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

UK or NZ spec?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmm - beware the stainless bolts. In general they don't have the correct tensile strength and should not be used in suspension applications... Trailers - may be parked round the back of the Pub 5 miles down the road..... :roll: But I'm sure yours will be a Driver.
ImageImage
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

bmcecosse wrote:Hmm - beware the stainless bolts. In general they don't have the correct tensile strength and should not be used in suspension applications... Trailers - may be parked round the back of the Pub 5 miles down the road..... :roll: But I'm sure yours will be a Driver.
I only use stainless for wing bolts, sill finishers, and all other no load areas like radiator mounting bolts etc... and yes mine is driven, I love driving them and that's what its all about for me... driving then and enjoying them and showing them at the same time..
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Hey chaps, a bit of fun and all that but don't you think all this sniping at concours is a bit naughty? I don't do it because I drive the old cars all the time but I love to see a real trailer queen at a show. This should be a broad church covering everyone from the 'survival motorist' to the museum quality enthusiast. Equally I can't understand the gripes about folk paying to have their cars restored... If you've earned the cash spend it how you want! That money is keeping skilled classic mechanics in work and securing the future for our hobby/ passion. We all have our own views, passionately held, but a bit of live and let live...?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Well said. Now is anybody going to answer the original question?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It's mostly good old British banter, we all get a bit of stick now and then, it's the real world! It's not done in a hostile way, even if we do let go on a few characters that pop up now and then, it's only if provoked! :D My point of view on cheque book restos is, what pleasure can you get from standing by a vehicle that all you've done is polish it! If someone comes up and asks a question you'd have to say---'I don't know' :D

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

The master cylinder bore changed in order to decrease 'pedal' pressure needed (or so I understand) with the 8" brakes. Since you're using a servo in any case, logically you have no need to change the master cylinder to facilitate an 'easier' brake pedal.
That's how it is in my mind anyway!
Many advocate the use of 8" drums retrofitted to pre '63 cars, most presumably have the original size in master cylinder bore as they left the factory, so I can't forsee any problems using such a master cylinder.
Last edited by chesney on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

My 55 has the old master and 8" ,and yes a slight increase in pressure but nothing to be very bothered about,always said I would change when I needed a new master.