Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Timeing chain

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

Hi i have got a 69 traveller and have bought a duplex timing chain. I have been trying to get all my info together before i start to fit it and have noticed that someone on the net has mentioned you need to fit a tensioner, i wanted to know if this is correct as i was advised at david manners that the duplex kit was the best and there was no need for the use of a tensioner. THANKS
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Timeing chain

Post by philthehill »

It is not essential to fit a tensioner if you fit a duplex timing chain.
If you fit a duplex kit you can have either the duplex and no tensioner or the duplex and tensioner.
If you fit just the duplex you can use the Minor timing chain cover (the later version with the lip seal is best).
If you want the duplex with tensioner you will have to fit the Mini Metro type timing chain cover.
Either way is much better than the original Minor set up with twin rubber timing chain tensioner rings.
On my Minor I currently have the duplex with tensioner but have run a duplex without the tensioner but prefer the duplex with tensioner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI- ... 35e7046fb8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI- ... 4d2f6db690

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Mini tensioner system is by far the best for a standard engine. It was standardised by MG/Rover for good reason. Duplex is necessary for high lift cams and stupidly hard valve springs.... You 'can' fit a tensioner with duplex - but when I tried it the rubber pad disintegrated almost immediately - perhaps I had too much tension on it. If you have already bought the duplex, then I guess you had better carry on and fit it. Be sure to countersink the holes in the front plate enough.... :wink:
ImageImage
Theo_NL
Minor Fan

Post by Theo_NL »

Does your set includes the 2 countersunk screws?
One of them visible on this picture:
[frame]Image[/frame]

http://morrisminortourer.blogspot.nl
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm not sure that one is coutersunk enough...it must be very close...and if there is a 'link' in the chain...... I prefer to make sure they are completely flush with the front plate...
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

These are the screws you need when fitting a duplex timing chain.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... .aspx|Back to

I use LOCTITE 243 'Lock 'N Seal to secure the screws in place - and as bmc says make sure that they are well countersunk.
If there is a link in the chain make sure that the closed end is at the direction of travel and it is on the timing cover side of the chain.

Theo_NL
Minor Fan

Post by Theo_NL »

bmcecosse wrote:I'm not sure that one is coutersunk enough...it must be very close...and if there is a 'link' in the chain...... I prefer to make sure they are completely flush with the front plate...
You are right. I had to buy a proper countersink drill to do a better job.
Remember the one on the side of the front plate left very little steel on one side.

No picture of the better version... :(

http://morrisminortourer.blogspot.nl
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

This is the type of 90 degree 13mm/1/2" countersink drill that you need:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faithfull-13m ... 5636447153

You cannot use a normal drill to countersink as the tip of the drill for general work is ground at 118 degrees.

As Theo says - take care not to break through the metal because it does get quite thin in the area of the top of the hole when countersunk.

The countersunk screws can be supplied in two lengths 12mm O/L and 16mm O/L. Ensure that the length you have is adequate for the job. I have both lengths available to use but my preference is to fit the 16mm O/L ones. Make sure that the 16mm O/L ones do not bottom out in the front bearing cap.[frame]Image[/frame]
Some of the Allen screws now supplied have quite thick heads and there may be a need to face off the Allen screws in the lathe.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by philthehill on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

Wow many thanks for all the advice they did supply the two little screws with the kit. when i purchased it from david manners i was going to buy just a replacement standard chain but they did not have any in stock and the guy said no one fits them any more as they always sell the duplex.I also had the oil seal in the kit which is handy as the one on my car is leaking badly.Thanks again for all the help its invaluable.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's certainly not true that 'no one fits the standard chain any more' - you have to remember these people are SALESMEN..... :roll: In fact the Mini single chain with tensioner set up is far quieter in the long run. But does require purchase of a different chain cover with 'side bump' of course... So it's not the cheapest option if you buy all new parts.
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It should be noted that when fitting the duplex timing chain with tensioner and using the later type timing cover with breather that has either the sensor mounting or indent to accommodate the sensor the indent can foul the duplex timing chain. The indent must be removed to clear the chain. Mini Spares recommend tapping the indent flat.
The indent can be seen at the top L/H corner of the attached photograph protruding into the timing chain cover.
The earlier timing chain cover without sensor bracket or indent will fit without any modification.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... sic/timing chain cover.aspx|Back to search[frame]Image[/frame]