Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
herclepercle
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Advice for a newbie on getting it moving again

Post by herclepercle »

Hi,

I've been a bit of a numpty and looking for some help. Went away on holiday for a fortnight. Came back and thought I'd take the Moggie for a spin. Started no trouble, went round the block and parked up outside whilst cleaning it up some more. Went to start it then, and wouldn't kick in. Starter motor is working, and almost started once but promptly stalled. Then wouldn't kick in at all. Pushed it back under the carport for the night.

Just gone to have another go, and realised I've left the keys turned in the ignition all night. Won't start, and seems sluggish on turnover. Will I have flattened the battery? How do I charge it up? Any particular charger to buy?

Any help much appreciated - TIA.
Christian:
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Advice for a newbie on getting it moving again

Post by panky »

The battery will probably have drained and you may have knackered the coil, they get VERY hot with the ignition on and engine not running :( There are all sorts of chargers out there, just make sure you get one with 12 volt high and low charging - you don't need to spend a fortune. Remember to disconnect the battery and take it out of the car to charge it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO need to do that. Perfectly safe to charge it in the car. Or start it withe handle, or jump leads, and take the for a good long run .....!!++
ImageImage
herclepercle
Minor Friendly

Post by herclepercle »

bmcecosse wrote:NO need to do that. Perfectly safe to charge it in the car. Or start it withe handle, or jump leads, and take the for a good long run .....!!++
Hi,

I thought I couldn't jumpstart it - something to do with the earth? Or am I wrong?
Christian:
herclepercle
Minor Friendly

Post by herclepercle »

panky wrote:The battery will probably have drained and you may have knackered the coil, they get VERY hot with the ignition on and engine not running :( There are all sorts of chargers out there, just make sure you get one with 12 volt high and low charging - you don't need to spend a fortune. Remember to disconnect the battery and take it out of the car to charge it.
Hi,

Would this one suffice? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-AMP-12V-COM ... 2c85f899da
Christian:
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Nice and simple, it would do the job fine. But do disconnect the battery even if you do leave it in the car while charging.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There is no worry about the earth......where do these crazy ideas come from..... Just match + to + and - to -.......
And never ever leave keys in n the car _ if it had bee stolen the Insurance would pay nothing. Have you fitted a secret switch .....?
ImageImage
herclepercle
Minor Friendly

Post by herclepercle »

bmcecosse wrote:There is no worry about the earth......where do these crazy ideas come from..... Just match + to + and - to -.......
And never ever leave keys in n the car _ if it had bee stolen the Insurance would pay nothing. Have you fitted a secret switch .....?
I don't know - probably got my wires crossed (won't do that with the battery! ;) ).

I was in a flap and totally forgot about the keys. It was locked away anyway and tbf if they'd have started it they'd have deserved it anyway :p I've ordered a new ignition coil and battery charger, so will be working on it once they've arrived.

Thanks for you help :)
Christian:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

New coil' ..... Oh dear ... I see trouble ahead ...
ImageImage
herclepercle
Minor Friendly

Post by herclepercle »

Well I was a little impatient this evening and tried starting it up again - IT STARTED!

Not sure what the problem was, but my Morris has cured itself! <3
Christian:
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Well what do you know :D A running car and a new battery charger and coil on the way :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Do NOT fit the new coil..
ImageImage
clam

Post by clam »

can i ask why advise not to fit a new coil?
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Back when all cars had coils, many were manufactured in large factories with very strict quality control. Everyone relied on coils for transportation so the manufacturers made sure they didn't leave people stranded, since bad products would be bad publicity and would be terrible for sales. (It also helped that there were different manufacturers competing for the market)

Nowadays, the coil market is much different, smaller, and most of the cars that use coils are weekend toys or at the very least used sparingly. There isn't much competition and thus, quality is not held to the standard it once was.

This is true for coils, rubbers, as well as many other spares for classic cars sadly. So when possible, it's better to refurbish the original parts or find older parts.

On the other hand, thanks to better materials nowadays, some parts nowadays can be found in better quality than the originals; such as polyurethane suspension bushes and electrical cables with silicone insulation.
Gabriel