Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
John159
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Oil gun source/ steering mechanism

Post by John159 »

I am very reluctant to use grease instead of oil to lubricate the steering rack. There is a rattle coming from the rack area and I want to check out if a deficit in lub is causing it before I consider taking the steering out to examine it. Would appreciate if someone could help re the following:-
( 1) is there a brand/s of oil gun that could be recommended and an indication of cost
(2) would appreciate a good exploded sketch of the steering mechanism. All of the ones seen - including those in the official MM workshop manual - do not have the shims in them and the shim seems to be very NB in relation to tightening things up.
(3) when removing the steering rack are all the nuts/bolts easiest accessed from underneath or above the rack housing?
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Re: Oil gun source/ steering mechanism

Post by Trickydicky »

Can't help with the oil gun but here's the best diagram for the rack, http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mo ... racks.html
The manual does explain removal of the rack clearly enough.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil gun source/ steering mechanism

Post by bmcecosse »

Just put grease in -it will hopefully stop the rattle and ensure good lubrication. All later racks of similar design specified grease. It doesn't run away and hide in the boots !
ImageImage