Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rogerowen
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Gearbox trouble

Post by rogerowen »

My daughters 1960 948 is experiencing some gearbox bother. The GB is actually ribbed cased - so I'm assuming it is a 1098 box. We have 2 problems, Number 1 - jumps out of 2nd gear on de-acceleration. Number 2 - we started hearing some grounching noises from around the gearbox area at speed, and as time went on these noises got worse at lower speeds. I've checked the GB oil level and that's ok - so I'm wondering if this might be a clutch release bearing problem (on depressing clutch - coasting - the noise goes away). Rest of the gearbox seems OK and No dosh for an expensive recon box :( , so wondering if this is a do-able DIY fix?
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Gearbox trouble

Post by bmcecosse »

It does need a rebuild,and the longer you leave it the more damage will be done. Pick up a good second hand box meantime and swap it in. There is an EXCELLENT gearbox rebuild manual PDF floating about on here somewhere.......
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

That gearbox rebuild PDF should be a sticky.......hint hint.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

The gearbox rebuild manual was my invention.

As said its only going to get worse and increasingly more expensive to sort the longer its left. Whatever is up with it its going to have to come out to be looked at and find the problem, could be worn bearings, worn dog teeth / synchro or a combination of everything.

With some care and patience its an easy box to rebuild, subject to parts but they are around. I enjoyed doing mine and I think it cost me about £130 in the end, bearings, gaskets. 2nd hand new 1st gear ring, new old stock 3rd gear and 2nd hand good laygear.

The worst part is getting it out of the car.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Thanks, that does sound encouraging. I'm not new to gearbox removal, have done it to loads of classic cars over the years - just never attempted a gearbox rebuild before. Looking forward to the challenge! :D
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

biomed32uk wrote:The gearbox rebuild manual was my invention.

As said its only going to get worse and increasingly more expensive to sort the longer its left. Whatever is up with it its going to have to come out to be looked at and find the problem, could be worn bearings, worn dog teeth / synchro or a combination of everything.

With some care and patience its an easy box to rebuild, subject to parts but they are around. I enjoyed doing mine and I think it cost me about £130 in the end, bearings, gaskets. 2nd hand new 1st gear ring, new old stock 3rd gear and 2nd hand good laygear.

The worst part is getting it out of the car.
Where can I find your gearbox rebuild manual, please?
SUE482
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SUE482 »

Should be ready for tea time.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Brilliant! Thanks :D :D :D