Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tezm8
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Engine Removal Advice

Post by Tezm8 »

Hi there!

I am looking for any advice which you experts on here can give me regarding my engine it is a 1098cc standard no mods apart from alternator. I have never taken any engine out of any car before so I would really appreciate some advice. the reason for the drastic decision of taking the whole engine out is that it completely cut out on me two weeks ago and it now wont turn over or even hand crank plenty of oil in it but the engine has seized so needs further investigation. I also would like some more experience of doing this anyway so this is my situation. I have the Haynes manual, restoration manual and also David Vizards book on tuning the A series engine but other expert advice would be great thank you very much.
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Engine Removal Advice

Post by panky »

Did it seize as you were driving along or when you tried to start it? If starting it could be the starter jammed, if yes then maybe dropping the sump pan and taking the bearing caps off to check the mains and big ends should be your first move.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Google for Morris Minor Workshop Manual - it's out there as a free download, but we are not allowed to point you to it....
To remove engine - remove the radiator and front panel. Support the gearbox and undo all the bolts. Support the engine under the sump with a trolley jack- remove the front mounts. Run it forward on the jack and then lift it up and over the front crossmember. Easier if you remove the head and alternator first...... But as advised - check first it's not just the starter jammed in - take it off!
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Before resorting to engine out, use a spanner on the square end of the starter motor shaft (sticks out of front of starter motor) and turn it back and forth. You could also try taking the spark plugs out, put the car in first gear, and rock the car backwards and forwards. One or the other of these two steps will free off the motor if it is jammed.

What were you doing when it seized? Had it been running normally? Any sign of overheating? Was it simply that you switched off a perfectly running engine and then when you tried to start it, it would not turn over?
Tezm8
Minor Friendly

Post by Tezm8 »

my engine seized and completely stopped dead when I was travelling downhill at about 40mph engine completely cut out and the car felt like it locked up and jerked a bit luckily I managed to get it off the road before it completely grinded to a halt. before it stopped it was also squeaking and it was harder and harder to move it in to different gears. I don't believe it is the gearbox though cause I was able to get it out of gear and roll it freely backwards and forwards. any more advice would be helpful please I thank you for your comments so far I will attempt all of these ideas this weekend.
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

an engine failing should not make it hard to get in gear possible clutch failure , i would also first drain the gearbox and axle oil to see if there is and nasty bits of metal in it , you can see the clutch through the inspection hole in the bell housing