Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stoneporch
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

how to flush a 1275 marina engine

Post by Stoneporch »

Sorry if this subject has been raised before: as I have fitted a new cylinder head and a new radiator, I have been advised to flush the engine block. How is this done, please.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: how to flush a 1275 marina engine

Post by philthehill »

For a basic engine block flush:-
Remove the radiator cap when engine is cold - take out the cylinder block drain plug (located lower n/s of block 3/8"W spanner) and coolant should run out, if it does not poke a suitable screw driver into the hole to ensure it is clear for the coolant to flow. Remove top hose but better still remove thermostat housing cover and thermostat. Place hose into top of head, turn on water and let it flow until water out of the drain plug flows clean. Replace cylinder drain plug / thermostat / thermostat cover housing and top hose. Fill with the correct amount of Bluecol antifreeze and top up with water.
You may find that the above process does not get rid of the corrosion sediment completely and you may have to resort to using a proprietary radiator and cylinder block cleaner then flush as above.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOLTS-SPEED-F ... Sw0vBUkUtL
See also thread:-
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... #p456152nd

Phil

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is there a history of overheating? Why the 'new' head ?? Hopefully you cleared any water passages exposed when the head was off.
ImageImage
Stoneporch
Minor Friendly

Post by Stoneporch »

Thanks philthehill for that comprehensive reply.
With regard to bmcecosse's 'supplementaries', there wasn't a history of overheating but travelling through France recently a small leak in the cooling system, whilst on a fast dual carriageway, led to a rather dramatic boiling 'event'. No amount of careful searching enabled us to find the cause of a continuing, persistent slight loss of coolant, despite replacing an errant bypass hose and adding two bottles of radiator sealant. We made it home under our own power but with an increasingly heavy oil consumption! On our return to the UK I took the radiator to be checked and found that a new core was very little more expensive than a repair, and I found that a reconditioned cylinder head with hardened seats and new valves was considerably cheaper than having my head skimmed at a local machine shop and replacing the sloppy valves and guides.
I suspect that the interesting boiling event did, in fact, disturb quite a lot of rubbish, as there was little to be seen when the head was removed.
PS. I shall be looking for a suitable temperature gauge this weekend at the NEC! My children have suggested 'wingwalking' as a suitable substitute for the above form of excitement seeking, but then I suspect they simply have their eyes on my set of Whitworth spanners.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A well - the boiling up has probably loosened any crud. I would simply drain by removing the bottom hose at the water pump and refill a couple of times - and provided it comes out clean after warming up to running temp - then refill with a-freeze etc. The increasing oil consumption suggests possible piston/ring damage. But it's worth trying an oil change...
ImageImage