Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil leak

Post by qwerty165 »

I have just taken out the engine believing that the the oil leak was from the back mains. However on removing the clutch and flywheel the oil leak can be seen to be comming from the cover for the oil pump. on removing the back plate the oil pump cover had a pool of oil in the bottom. There is a hole at the bottom of the pump that goes into the sump which I assume is to drain the oil back into the engine that collects into the cover is this corrrect and would resoldering the oil pump cover stop the oil leak?
Last edited by qwerty165 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Oil leak

Post by bmcecosse »

I doubt it - the oil is only there due to fume coming in to the oil pump cavity from the block. I think tending to the fume is more likely to solve the problem.
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You say re-soldering so I assume you have a 948cc engine and back plate.
The 1098cc rear engine plate being thicker does not require the oil pump cover to be soldered into place and should not be soldered but be allowed to remain free in the rear engine plate .
The 948cc rear engine plate being thin was prone to the leaking of oil between the plate and oil pump cover and to overcome the problem of leakage between the two BMC soldered the joint between plate and oil pump cover - see BMC wksp man section AA33 for details.
If you have a 1098cc set up just clean the faces and fit a new gasket. I always smear the faces of the gasket with grease to help seat the gasket. The gasket is the key to getting a good seal between rear engine face and oil pump cover.
Any oil leaking from the pump or past the pump spindle will drain back into the sump through the hole described so long as the hole is clear.
Happy New Year
Phil

qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Thank you for the information, the engine is a 948cc. I will attend to the oil pump cover and that will solve the problem. I do not think I can do anything to stop the oil getting there for it is only a small amount and it only leaked when the car came to a halt.