Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggyland
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Dust caps split every year causing MOT fail

Post by moggyland »

Yes 8cwt vans and pickups introduced 1968 if I remember right.
1950 lowlight fitted with x-pag engine and gearbox
1968 pickup 1275engine midget gearbox 3.9 diff ford disc's
1971 van
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

My '54 project car came with LP 917 van wheels and 1.75 x 14 tyres. The fronts had spacers fitted between wheel and hub. The 54 was a non runner so I tried them on my everyday 70 saloon. Without the spacers the front tyre rubbed the trunnion, with spacers it rubbed the outer wing when cornering. On the back they didn't foul but significantly raised the gearing. The steering felt a bit strange too. I took them off again PDQ, seriously not recommended!
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

reading up the light commercial vehicles chapter in Paul Skilleter's book "Morris Minor, the Worlds Supreme small car", he writes that the LCV',s as the Pickups and Vans were known in the factory, were treated in the same way when it came to updates and model changes. When they were introduced, in some features they kept pace with the Minor Saloons. in 1959 while saloons adopted 5 leaf springs, the LCVs accompanied the Traveller with 7 leaf springs, in 62 the payload increased from 5 to 6 cwt, in 68 further increased to 8cwt, with 8 leaf springs introduced.Rims increased in the LCVs from three and a half to 4 inches, and shortly after an Austin badge appeared on the BL minor LCV.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Sounds logical,David. I know that the Coal Board were using 8cwt minor vans in Newcastle in 1974. All painted dark blue and yellow. Same as every allotment shed in the North East.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

bmcecosse wrote:Hmm - 'original wide van/pickup wheels' - I don't think the LP917 wheels were ever fitted to Pick-ups - and only to the uprated later vans.
The 8cwt option which included these wider wheels did apply to the pick-up as well as the van. The option was introduced around 1968.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Steve, are you suggesting that our beloved vans have any similarity to allotment sheds...lol
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Quite a few were used as pigeon 'crees'!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

davidmiles wrote:Steve, are you suggesting that our beloved vans have any similarity to allotment sheds...lol
No similarity Allotment sheds don't rust!

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Les, most of the allotment sheds in Ashington( circa 1974) were made of Coal Board corrugated steel! They rusted worse than a Morris unless painted in stolen NCB blue and yellow livery. You must have posh wooden sheds in your neck of the woods.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

so, self amalgamating tape in hand, there is need for a fiddly peel off of the backing paper, I used a stanley blade to get it started.[frame]Image[/frame]

with the front wheels off, car on axle stands, the tape wound around the dust cap, it squeezes to shape rather well.
The dust caps are only one year old, but I know he will fail them if they don't look in new condition, So long as they stop the ingress of dust and dirt I can't lose, or can I ? Are MOT inspectors allowed to peel off tape?

[frame]Image[/frame]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have to be honest and say looking at your photo post fitting the amalgam tape - what have you gained other than the seal looking good?
It may look good but does it stop the water and crud entering the swivel threads?
The most important thing is that the top and bottom of the Minor swivel pin seals (dust seal) are a tight fit against the top and bottom trunnion and swivel. If they are the correct size seals they will grip the trunnion and swivel sufficiently to not require the amalgam tape.
The lower edge of the amalgam tape in your photo does not appear to be gripping the seal against the swivel.
If the bottom swivel seal is fitted with the amalgam tape similar to the top you are just creating a water trap in which the water and crud will settle and will eventually find its way into the swivel.
I have found that you have to be selective in your supplier of swivel to trunnion seals and so shopping around for the best seals does help.

Phil

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

thanks Phil, yes the top and bottom of the seals are a close fit,(see OP pic) but the split in the side of the dust cap is now covered in tape stopping dirt getting in that way. My concearn was, would the MOT guy be allowed to remove the tape to check the condition of the rubber caps underneath.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I think my seals do look slightly better.
Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

All that work Declan, and you could have just bought a roll of tape. :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No - he can't peel off the tape - but he may still fail it as not fit for the job. Just get a set from Declan and be happy!
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Declan's seals look a LOT better, but until they are available for all to purchase an alternative is needed. SA tape does a perfectly good job, but when I have used it, I always wrap it so that it fits snugly around both pin and swivel. It's far better than having a split or missing seal and can be fitted without dismantling the suspension. I've been using it for years and never had a problem with MOT (or worn swivels); but I will still be buying and fitting Declan's seals once they are fully available.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Simmitc,
They are available to anyone who wants them.
I also have them for the early pre July 1952 Moggy.
The A Series and the B series rubber engine rocker cover seals and the side cover seals are also available.
Also TB/TC/TD/TF/Wolseley 4/44 rocker cover and side cover seals.

I was very busy when I was out sick following surgery for the last 16 months.
All of this was occupational therapy!

Anyone who wants them just send me a PM
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done Declan - can I suggest then you set up a 'For Sale' notice on the forum for each part - with prices and postage to UK - and further afield!
ImageImage
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

they look great Declan, are you planning to sell them on e bay in a Declan Burns e bay shop?
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

David,
I might give it some thought.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan