Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Help with brakes!

Post by acmsb »

Hello everyone. I am trying to get the front wheels off my Morris Traveller so I can look at the brakes. Previous advice has suggested the best way is to use a trolley jack, on the front suspension arm rather than at the jack points. Is this right? If so, can someone tell me what the front suspension arm looks like!

Thank you!!!
smithskids
Minor Addict

Re: Help with brakes!

Post by smithskids »

May help if you put your location on, someone would probably come and show you. :(
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by greendefender123 »

Please post under the mechanical section, you'll get more people seeing it. But yes don't use your jacking points and always remember to use axle stands as jacks can easily slip.

Steve
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Your first move is to download a free copy of the Morris Minor Workshop Manual from Google....... If you don't know what a suspension arm is - I wonder if you should be doing anything to the car,,,,, Perhaps enroll in a Car Maintenance Class ? What do you hope to see/do when you have the wheel off?
ImageImage
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Many thanks for your help - it is much appreciated
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you now have the Manual - read up the brakes section carefully. Jacking should be done under SOLID parts of the front of the car - either under the chassis legs (protect with slab of timber) - or as suggested - under the suspension arm - which is the two-part arm sticking out from the chassis and connected to the king-pin upright. It is NOT the thin/round tie-bar reaching forward. However this does need a bit of care - since the jack can more easily 'slip' on the arm. Be sure to loosen the wheel nuts before jacking up - and of course - NEVER EVER use the 'jacking points' on each side of the car. Jacking the rear wheels can be done either under the leaf spring for one wheel, or under the rear axle casing for both wheels at the same time. Of course -chock the front wheels well if doing this - and place axle stands before in any way 'going under' the car.
ImageImage