Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
catswhisker
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Gearbox dust seal

Post by catswhisker »

The rubber 'bung' on top of my bell housing has become dislodged,
Limited room to access under steering rack, any ideas please.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Gearbox dust seal

Post by les »

Well if there's no room there's no room, apart from dismantling, it's just a matter of trying to locate it best you can. Otherwise you will have to remove the gearbox cover from inside the car. Some gearboxes don't have this grommet fitted but it's best to, especially as you have one.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Extra ventilation for the clutch - ideal. Just leave it off.
ImageImage
catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Post by catswhisker »

Even if I took the floor panel out I don't think it would be get at able without dropping the G.Box
and I don't want to risk dropping the bung inside.

Extra ventilation for the clutch -- hmm-- I like it .
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Many leave it open, it's that old chestnut------'to much hassle to fit' syndrome! :D Don't give up!

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

It's right under the rack and effectively against it, so it would make no difference taking the gearbox cover out, other than another way of approching the job.

If you really want to fit it, support the engine under the sump, remove the engine mounts and carefully lower the engine a little, may just gain an extra bit of room. Watch the fan does not go through the rad, probably best removed and you don't strain or damage any hoses / wiring.

Don't worry about it too much though, mine was missing for well over a year and I only fitted it when I had the gearbox out.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The hole had to be made so the bellhousing wouldn't foul on the rack - since the 1098 clutch is larger, and the box sits slightly further back due to the thicker engine backplate. Of course BMC couldn't leave an opening - in case someone stuck a finger in...so they fitted the thin rubber 'cushion' -perhaps also to stop rattling against the rack casing. It's not at all important.
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I always wondered why it was there, as its not the place for an inspection cover, makes sense to stop it fouling the rack.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All of the bell housing apertures should have sealing neoprene plugs.
That is:-
The cover / seal around the R/D drive clutch lever.
The cover / seal for the L/H drive clutch lever.
The cover / seal for the top aperture which is for the rack clearance.
The only aperture/hole that does not have one is the hole for the joggle pin which is in the bottom of the bell housing and should be fitted with a joggle pin (split pin).
For normal motoring they should all be in place.
The seals are to stop dirt / grit and water getting inside the bell housing and effecting the clutch.
The top aperture cover /seal being deficient is less of a problem than the two clutch lever aperture cover seals as there is less chance of dirt / grit and water getting inside the bell housing through that aperture as it is shielded by the engine, body and rack.
I would suggest that in the meantime it will be alright to run without the cover / seal but when you get a chance it should be re-fitted.
Phil

Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

As a temporary fix, to keep stones out (had it happen) maybe clean the area and use some duct tape or similar.