Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: running problems

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh -so it's an Accuspark 'after market' conversion that has been fitted - not a complete new dizzy... Well - if it's still sparking at the king lead - the fault must lie in either the rotor arm - or the dizzy cap. Give the coil connections a good wiggle too - just in case there is corrosion/dirt there.However I do also have to admit that it may indeed be a 'coil'' problem - something breaking down inside as temperature rises. Is it a 'good old coil' - or a newish aftermarket coil?
ImageImage
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

Post by tanyadavidson30 »

ok update I have found new dizzy cap I have changed it over still not starting I have also checkd by taking out one plug and I am still not getting any spark at spark plugs .I have gave the wires on coil a wiggle but still same so I guess that is me down to coil or rotor does the rotor just pull off . if I was to order a new rotor should I buy same one or red one should I try ordering a new rotor and new coil which one will I buy as heard lucas ones are not good where do I buy from any links to the following 2 parts . as I will have to order to continue investigating what the problem is as I don't have them . hard to tell by coil as looks pretty old thanks for your help . suppose the next step is rotor and coil but I will have to order it so might be a few days to update until they come home thanks
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

would I be as well to buy set of new plug leads set of new plugs new rotor and new coil while im ordering the bits just swap them over be like a mini service while possible with some luck getting my car to actually start and run again as at the moment the old sod seems not to be not willing to fire back o life lol thanks will it ever run again
Last edited by tanyadavidson30 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwertyhenry
Minor Friendly

Post by qwertyhenry »

I see on the pics of the dizzy theres a cable tie holding the two wires it seams the ties end is sitting where the dizzy cap should sit and when u put the cap on it mite be holding the cap from sitting properly and it mite not be in contact with the rotor arm and u wont be getting a spark
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hmmm... if you now replaced dizzy cap I suspect the rotor, assuming all else is well with the dizzy. Get a red rotor arm - either direct from Distributor Doctor (Google him) or I think ESM sell them as well. Unlikely all plug leads would fail but if they look cracked or otherwise dodgy, best replace them. And, if its not the rotor, it could just be the coil playing up. The problem you have is it seems intermittent....sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesn't. If it fires, it runs rough. I had a problem with a rotor arm that was erratic like that....
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

the car was perfect and has not let me down in last 2 years although its been along winter in hibernation I have been starting the car and it always started ok until yesterday it started and was running ok . until it heated up when I gave it throttle it would cough splutter and die . now it wont start what so ever I think as im ordering anyway ill order new leads plugs and rotor as well as coil im just un shure wich coil to buy and where from thanks also I must ask does the rotor just pull off push back on .I am not too shure about cable tie as it has run since 2 years with it like that lol I will have to suss out where to order the parts and get them orderd as itl take 2 days to come home . well at least itll give me the chance to charge the battery back up as it has started getting low with me trying to start the car thanks again
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it ran for 20+ minutes yesterday - the battery should be ok. I'm at a loss - now no spark at all from the king lead ? Is it securely fixed in the dizzy cap - and is the little carbon brush and spring present in the centre of the cap? Is there definitely power getting to the coil on the white lead - and a good connection there - not 'loose' in any way? It may be the rotor arm - yes it just pulls straight up -look carefully at it for any 'tracking' marks or cracks. Another 'tip' is to lightly rub some oil all over the rotor to (temporarily) fill in any tracking paths - this can work as a 'get you home' fix but is not in any way a permanent repair. Maybe the problem is with the electronic ignition aftermarket kit - I'm tempted to suggest for what you plan to spend on 'spares' , that you could just order a complete new 45D dizzy ready fitted with electronic ignition - from Accuspark or Powerspark (same items as far as I can see). Then everything will be new (except the coil - although they would sell you that too).
ImageImage
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

hi if I take king lead off the dizzy cap and turn car over there is spark but still no spark at plugs yes the centre thing inside dizzy cap is there also it is a new dizzy cap . I might just go the full hog and purchase this 45d kit and change the lot how problematic would it be to fit a complete distributer and get the car running a1 would it mess timming up if I take out distributer and change it . maybe the ignition kit fitted to tha car just now is at faulti would also purchase a new accuspark coil and change it as well at same time . one more thing to add before I go ordering parts I have no idea if my car is positive or negative I have just been on accuspark web site. and it says all distributors are negative but can be changed to positive for extra 10 pound how would I tell if my car is positive or negative thanks I maybe call esm in morn shure they will have it
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

there is this one kit on ebay which is negative earth image below[frame]Image[/frame] all for 89.95
Last edited by tanyadavidson30 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

Suitable All Suitable All Morris Minor 1000 Models ,negative earth only
Ignition Pack
you get

Our Brand new 45D Lucas type electronic Distributor ( points distributors also available )

One set of 5 Accuspark 8.mm red ignition leads

4 AccuSpark triple ground copper core Titanium coated Plugs AC9C

1 genuine AccuSpark Red Rotor

1 AccuSpark performance Red 3Ohm Coil 12volt
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

your car has an alternator,so it must be negative earth.
1968 2 door 1275
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

Also,if you do replace the distributor you will need to replace the advance and retard pipe as yours is the screw in type,you will need the push on type(only costs a couple of pounds) hope you get her running soon..
1968 2 door 1275
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Before you go getting fancy new ignition stuff, you can test the rotor in the following way:

If you are getting a spark from the king lead, remove the dizzy cap and hold the king lead with a pair of insulated pliers about 1/4 inch away from the brass top of the rotor. Ignition on, crank the engine. There should be NO SPARK to the rotor. If there IS a spark, the rotor is faulty and the spark is going to earth through it, rather than being transmitted to the four plug leads and thence to the plugs.

You say the car always run well before so it is a simple failure of some component - it will run again!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Compare price on ebay - may be more from a trader.
ImageImage
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

hi folks just an wee update .got a new coil home today and a rotor I changed the rotor and car started first time although still couching spluttering when reved . how ever I noticed while the car was ticking over that the dizzy cap is moving from side to side abit . the metal clips that hold it are on but the cap is vibrating moving from left to right could that be the problem I have tried bending the clips abit to make them tighter when on but still movement there
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I think you might have the wrong cap on there. AFAIK the cap should have a lip around the edge that sits over the dist body fairly snug so no movement. I have not known a cap being able to move like that before.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed -it needs to be tightly held.
ImageImage
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

the car seems to be running good now have had it out a run driving like it was I just put a small piece of card board in between the dizzy which tightend it up fine . how ever now I have no brakes after renewing all the brake cylinders at xmas . the pedal is going to the floors im having to pump the foot brake . so that's next on the list of jobs to do before summer arrives so I can have a bit of enjoyment from the car
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Brakes are indeed quite important....check urgently if the fluid level has gone down. Otherwise - likely just adjustment.
ImageImage
tanyadavidson30
Minor Friendly

topped up with brake fluid pedal stil soft and going to floor if pumped rappid there is asmall amount off pressure no visable leeks