Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parkview094
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Series MM Speedo Cable?

Post by parkview094 »

Hello,
Now we're safely back from MoT, I've gained a long list of things to fettle with or fix on the car. Top of the list is addressing why the speedometer is not currently working.

The odometer incremented by 100 miles on our journey of around 50 miles to Portsmouth and the speedo needle just flails around randomly. There is a constant rattling noise from somewhere behind the speedo whilst driving.

Before taking things apart, I thought it prudent (given the cost of them) to order a new speedo cable so at least I've got it if I need it. However, I see there are various types of Speedo Cable available. 1000 and Series II seem to be the most regularly advertised, but from the photo's of each at ESM I can see no visible difference.

Anyone know which type I would need to connect my MM speedo to the 1098 engine/gearbox?
Many thanks!
M
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Series MM Speedo Cable?

Post by bmcecosse »

A good bit of the problem is probably that the MM speedo will wrong TPM for use with a 1098 gearbox - and what final drive ratio do you have? What's the TPM marking on the speedo? It does sound like a new cable is probably needed - although it may just be incorrectly fitted to the speedo and doing a bit of 'flailing about'. Check behind to see if it's secure. may also benefit from pulling out the cable and a wipe of grease - but NOT the last 2" at the speedo head.
ImageImage