high pitched squeak/squeal from wheel?.....

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattinhertford
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

high pitched squeak/squeal from wheel?.....

Post by mattinhertford »

Hi all,

I'm part way working through the 'check-list' to find out what is causing a particular noise I'm experiencing while driving, but thought I'd check in anyway to see if this is common and someone says "ah yes, you need to fix/repair/replace/check/grease/oil/clean...the xxx".... :D

The symptom:
High pitched intermittent, but steady pulse if you know what I mean, squeak from the drivers side. I suspect its from one of the wheels as it speeds up as the car drives faster, slows as the car slows, and stops completely when the car is stationary.

What I've done so far:
Raised the rear of the car on an axle stand and rotated the rear drivers side wheel to see if I could replicate the noise. I could not. But wheel rotates freely. Took off wheel and brake drum, and dismantled and cleaned the brake shoes, springs, inside of the drum etc. Then put it all back together and the readjusted via the screw etc (don't worry, I'm fairly competent at this bit as have done this before and know its critical area etc).

Next (one night this week) is to do the same to the drivers side front wheel.

So, in the meantime, while I ponder what it could be as I daydream at my work desk :lol: , I thought I'd write this post.

From the high pitched nature of the noise, I'm fairly sure its metal on metal, or could it be a stone?, so have no plans to drive anywhere until I've fixed this.

Has anyone ever had this before, is there a part/place I should jump to looking?....

What could be related, or just coincidence, is that I also discovered the brake return spring (in the drivers chassis leg) has snapped, or rathermore the 'hook' it was attached to in the leg has come off. The chassis leg is in OK condition, has been treated with Dynax S50 inside (by me) but I don't think I can replace the hook (without major work?). Is there a fix to this, for example, putting a well placed bolt securely through the leg in the right place that I can hook a new spring around?

Any help/advice always appreciated from the club.

Thanks

Matt
Morris no.1 - a "learning new skills" project

amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: high pitched squeak/squeal from wheel?.....

Post by amgrave »

It is possible, but the squeak would be a bit more frequent than the wheel turning coming from a dry joint in the prop shaft. Might be worth greasing the joints just to eliminate them.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If the return spring has broken then the brake is probably not coming completely off - hence the squeak. You need to replace the spring urgently. Not done it - but I believe you don't need to do any major dismantling - just maneuver the new spring into place with a bit of rodding - after undoing the little cover plate of course.
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Matt
Fitting a new return brake spring is one of those jobs that works first time or keeps you " occupied " for some time. Check your loose change for the swear box.

Do you have the metal tag / tab , inside the chassis leg , securely attached ? If so great. Long nose thin pliers is your best option. Attach a short piece of string to one end of the spring. Grip one hook , 90 degrees to the line of the spring and insert into the chassis leg. The spring coil will need to be bent , which is where the string comes in. Once you've located the hook under the tab / tag move the spring with the string so that it aligns fore and aft. If you have some angled long nose pliers you can close up the hook.

If no tab / tag visible / succumbed to rust , etc., then things a re a little more difficult. Either weld a new metal tag in place.
Is your Dynax S50 in the chassis leg flammable ? Or

Plan B drill a hole , so you can use a long screw , sandwich a hook end between two washers , tighten a nut up underneath to hold it fast. Insert into hole and put a shakeproof washer and nut ( or two ) on from the underside.Cover in grease to prevent rusting. Careful where you are drilling ( pipes / wires / access , etc ).

I hope it's the easy option for you. My mates' car was still in the stripped down stage , so welding a new tag in was not a problem.
Bob
mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

Thanks Mogbob, sounds like a plan should I find no bit for the return spring to hook onto. :D

Ref the squeal though, just restating for the wider forum that I don't think the return spring/brake thing is related to the squeal as its v high pitched and definatly sounds like metal on metal, and in my experience the brake shoe on brake drum is more of a shhhhhh sound :-?

....so just putting it out there incase anyone has had similar symptoms :D

Thanks all.
Morris no.1 - a "learning new skills" project

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Wobbly wheel bearing causing the drum to rub on the backplate? Check each wheel carefully.
ImageImage
Pikey
Minor Fan

Post by Pikey »

Brake shoe return spring might be positioned up side down/ back to front and thus rubbing on the hub?

Cheers

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - but would think that would be continuous noise....
ImageImage