Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kittyonwheels
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: juddering in London

Post by kittyonwheels »

Interesting Jowett. Many thanks for the suggestion. Will put it to the mechanic.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

With a cold start- it's nothing to do with fuel vapourisation. (And that has nothing to do with the carb either). Steady ticking means either short of fuel -or carb float needle sticking open - or air leak on the inlet side. I think you should try to concentrate on one problem at a time instead of multiple problems. Buy a multimeter on ebay - usually ~ £5 for one perfectly good for car problems.
ImageImage
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

It might be worth noting that when the head came off 3 pistons were covered in carbon and No.3 was shiny although the cylinder we keep having problems with is No.4 (the head gasket had split between these two cylinders).

The shiny piston would intrigue me. I would try to check out why. It is unusual. A possible cracked head, allowing water to get into that combustion chamber? But presumably it is number 4 that is missing after a few minutes idling? Inlet side, or one would expect the cooling system to be pressurised.

Maybe this is a normal occurence on these engines, but somehow I doubt that. Less carbon, but not shiny. How did that combustion chamber look? Clean as a whistle?

RAB
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

I've seen shiny pistons with a blown head gasket before - not just shiny, but like new!

Just look at the No.4 piston - the etching on the top of it is crystal clear.
[frame]Image[/frame]
What looks like a bore sleeve in No.4 is not, there are no sleeves. It looks like delamination, except that cast iron is not known to delaminate, and at 73.5mm diameter it could not be repaired, so a spare Midget 1275 block was used nearly 3 years ago to rebuild the engine.

The combustion chamber got pretty well cleaned as well -
[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Water ingress will clear away all the carbon and muck - hence the idea to dribble water into a running engine if it is pinking/running on. Used to be Redex that was used for this -but it always puzzled me how adding more hydrocarbon could hope to remove long standing carbon deposits.
ImageImage