Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
martinminor89
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Correct oil filter?

Post by martinminor89 »

Hiya all.

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the correct direction to a oil filter for my 1098cc minor 1000, it's a 1970 saloon. I've bought this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... Sw~bFWQi2F

But I've been sent a "Mann filter" one with only one ring. I've mailed the seller but I'm yet to hear anything back on getting the one advertised in the picture. While I'm waiting however, I thought it would be better to ask around here to make sure said filter would be the right one when it's sent to me, or if I'm going the wrong way and it's a different one I need.

I don't have the converted one, so screw on ones (While they would be much easier), aren't what I'm looking for at the moment.

Cheers guys.
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Re: Correct oil filter?

Post by SGTBILKO »

Looks the business to me. You just hook out and renew the rubber ring (one of those supplied will fit) in the lip of the filter housing. Don't lose the spring and the metal washer which are inside the housing.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Mann are just another filter manufacturer. It should be fine. You only need one ring, provided it fits, but some filters come with alternative size rings for different applications.
That price is fairly expensive but does include postage - useful if you can't purchase one locally. I would have thought that an oil filter can still be bought from a local car parts shop with little difficulty? Certainly that's all I've ever done.
martinminor89
Minor Friendly

Post by martinminor89 »

Well there's not many car spares shops around where I am, Halfords is the biggest, but also the poorest when it comes to simple things, I've lost count how many times I've had to go somewhere else due to them just not selling it.

I'll have a bash sticking it on later and see where we are with it, cheers all :)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I wasn't thinking of a Halfords, so much as a proper car spares outlet/motor factors like the garage trade would use. Every area has such places surely? If your area doesn't then yes, mail order is the answer.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

To be fair to Halfords it's not as though 1 in 10 customers go shopping there for minor parts. They are not going to stock parts for our cars on the off chance they might sell a few bits.
The only other way to buy a oil filter off the shelf for a moggy is to convert to a spin on one and then you can buy the HOF203 oil filter from Halfords. They only cost £3.69 :wink:
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
martinminor89
Minor Friendly

Post by martinminor89 »

I've found this conversion kit from Andrew Eggleton, unfortunately, I can't direct link to the product, but it's the only one oil conversion kit on the page.

http://www.morrisminorspareparts.com/improved-parts

Would this one be alright for my 1098cc 1970 minor? I've decided to make changing the oil filter less awkward in future and skip taking a chance with all different sorts of filters.

Also, how easy is this kit setting up wise? Would this take me a full day, or an hour roughly?.
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

Should be fine. An hour should cover it easily. It all depends on how many tea breaks you take.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The only problem you may encounter is the alignment of the pipe between the block and filter head.
There should be absolutely no mis-alignment of the pipe or strain on the pipe otherwise the filter head can and is known to break off the block.
On a minor matter - there are two different unions that screw into the filter head they are either a taper thread or a parallel thread - you must ensure that you have the right thread.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The original paper/felt filter is fine - and quite frankly as often as not I didn't even change the rubber ring. Very simple to fit - typically 50p at say an autojumble and a lot less hassle than trying to get that pipe to align without kinking/twisting - which it does VERY easily.
ImageImage
martinminor89
Minor Friendly

Post by martinminor89 »

bmcecosse wrote:The original paper/felt filter is fine - and quite frankly as often as not I didn't even change the rubber ring. Very simple to fit - typically 50p at say an autojumble and a lot less hassle than trying to get that pipe to align without kinking/twisting - which it does VERY easily.
You're not wrong on that one. I contemplated getting a kit, but decided on tracking down a normal filter. I found one within a few hours from Andrew Eggleton on eBay. Fits like a dream, although my experience of getting a refund from the first filter I posted is proving to be a more difficult task.