Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peterscott
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Stainless exhaust

Post by peterscott »

I have just replaced my crumbling mild steel exhaust with a new stainless one from one of the major suppliers. This is a 3 piece system, and I was able to fit it ok. Problem is it sounds like a tank! All joints are completely gas tight, but the sound from the tail pipe is as though it is completely unsilenced. It's as though there are no baffles in the silencer. I have even had other drivers wind down their windows and tell me I have a blowing exhaust. I have a stainless system on my MG TD, and have previous experience of them on an MGB and MGF, all of which sounded great. Before I go back to the supplier, has anyone else had a similar problem, or any suggestion as to what may be wrong. I stress, there is no "blow" from the joints or manifold. I have also found there is little or no clearance between the front pipe and the bodywork where the pipe passes through from the engine bay. Have tried various adjustments to no avail. Engine mountings are good. Thanks in anticipation.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Re: Stainless exhaust

Post by alanworland »

I fitted a SS system to my mm and it still sounded just right, parp and everything!
Think I would be having a word with the supplier.

Alan
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Aye, I had a stainless system fitted and it sounded well like Alan's. It's possible the silencer is devoid of silencing material I suppose.
GreenGiant57
Minor Addict

Post by GreenGiant57 »

I have a stainless system on my Traveller, and it sounds very little different from the sound the mild steel one made when it was sound and in good condition.

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

I have one that came with my traveller and it sounds the same as all the other minors even at shows with them running together to compare and all sounding the same,looks like you would be best to ring the suppliers :D

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Stainless exhausts can sometimes be a bit louder than mild ones because stainless steel is more brittle and resonant than mild steel. But If yours is so loud that others comment it sounds like there's something wrong with it.
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Thanks for your comments. I have spoken to the supplier who told me that it's something to do with the sound deadening material being inserted into the silencer in a plastic bag during manufacture. Apparently I have to do a 60 mile run to get the exhaust really hot so as to burn off the plastic and release the material. I don't pretend to be an exhaust expert, but that sounds very odd, and I've never had to do that before with other stainless exhausts I've had. Could try it I suppose, but has anyone heard of this before? If this is what's needed, it's a pity the exhaust didn't come with appropriate instructions!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I have a cheap stainless exhaust on my traveller, its been on a long time as I bought it from MGM before they sold up, but it is a loud exhaust and has always been when compared to the mild steel I have fitted on my saloons. A friend bought a 2 piece stainless one a couple of years ago and its much quieter than mine!

Ive never heard of having to burn off plastic before, but will be interested to hear if it makes a differnece!

Too many Minors so little time.....
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

that sounds a bit odd to me , i got a stainless system from esm and have no complaints at all , they do qiuet down a bit when they carbon up ,but its not overley noisy
[sig]5641[/sig]
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Have now taken my Traveller for a series of fast runs. When it's good and hot it isn't too bad, although not quite right, but first thing in the morning is as bad as ever. Have spoken to the supplier who seems to have moved away from the "plastic" idea, and seems to agree something's wrong. They have asked me to return the exhaust which they intend to send back to the manufacturer for examination and repair. I have explained that this would be difficult as it has a car attached to it, and said car is my daily transport, not a hobby car. They admit it will take at least a week to get it back to me. Not very satisfactory, and I don't see why I should incur postage costs for something which is not my fault. It was suggested I should email my concerns to them which I have done, but so far without reply. To be honest, I feel like naming and shaming the supplier, but don't know if this is allowed on this forum.
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

OK I'll start ....
I am with you . I think we should all know who gives good / poor service ?

edd_barker
Minor Fan

Post by edd_barker »

I'm pretty certain you are allowed to tell the truth/facts on the forum!

For example, I am allowed to state that I bought a non-stainless exhaust from Bull Motif a year or so ago. The flared end was very poorly made, so I asked them to have it collected and refund me. I then bought one from ESM which has been fine ever since. This allows other potential exhaust purchasers to benefit from my experience.

However I would be told off for saying "so and so brand/supplier' is cr8p because that isn't very helpful!

Hope this helps.

Edd
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

I intend to give them until the end of the week. I can understand that they wish to protect themselves in case the manufacturer refuses to credit them, but this shouldn't be at the expense or inconvenience of the customer.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Any purchased item must be "Of merchantable quality" and "Fit for purpose"....that's the law.
In this case the silencer is failing to silence so it meets neither of the two criteria.
Tell the supplier of your right to a replacement or refund as required by the sale of goods act.
As for burning off a plastic bag inside the silencer......utter B@ll@cks!!
Last edited by Boomlander on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i agree with the plastic thing that would cause a fire and not be fit for purpose
[sig]5641[/sig]
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

The supplier in question is Bull Motif. They have now replied to my email. Seems it's the manufacturer who is being difficult, and they now want me to record the sound of the exhaust and send it to them. May be difficult for me given my very limited IT skills. Can't believe they're making so much fuss over a relatively inexpensive item. The exhaust has been on the car around 2 weeks. Anyone would think I was doing this for the pleasure of lying on my back in the cold fitting exhausts. Not my idea of fun, being of pensionable age!
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Update on this saga: I was able to email two short clips to enable Bull Motif to hear the exhaust. They replied quickly and agree that the exhaust is faulty. However, it seems I'm now required to buy another one from them, then send the faulty one back for a refund. Am I being picky, or is this pretty poor customer service? Seems to me that I'm expected to do all the chasing around. After all, I have no interest in keeping a faulty exhaust. I have asked them to supply a replacement without charge, and suggested they arrange collection of the faulty one once it has been replaced. Am I being unreasonable?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

They did the same with me when they sent several faulty rear springs. Took ages. Not sure they have a great position, legally, but I just accepted it and moved on. I now buy elsewhere.
Cardiff, UK
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Do you have it in writing? Don't trust anything verbal, is my advice. 'Sounds' (pardon the pun) like a simple case of 'not fit for purpose', faulty, responsibility of the vendor.
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Yes, I do have emails from them confirming their position, and accepting it was faulty. Gave up trying to deal with this by phone. As I paid by credit card, I suppose I could involve the credit card company.