Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
814XUW
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Reversing light on a 1098

Post by 814XUW »

Simple question - does anyone know if the remote housing from a 1275 Midget gearbox fits straight onto a 1098 box, using a 1098 gear lever?
I have a 1098 box and dug out just a 1275 Midget remote and will look to fit the reversing light switch up if the above can be done!
Thanks in advance.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Reversing light on a 1098

Post by Declan_Burns »

A mate of mine did exactly the same two weeks ago.
If you don't want to remove the remote there is another way. I wrote an article several years ago for Minor Matters on how to do it. I can send it to you if you want.
Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Order up the gasket , clean up what needs cleaning,.Try the switch in the remote ,with a touch of oil on the thread. Grease
up the selector rods if it was all looking " a bit crusty " from storage and then fit. Wire up the lamp and run the cables clipping them out of harms way. Protect the Lucar connectors with the usual covers and put a dab of Copper crease, electrical grease or what is to hand to keep the water out.
Don't forget to adjust the sensitivity of operation before you replace the gearbox cover and carpets.
Bob
814XUW
Minor Friendly

Post by 814XUW »

Thanks chaps,
Declan, I remember your solution, but since I have the remote to hand I may as well use it! It should mean it will go in and work with no adjustments.
Mogbob, sound advice. This one has no switch currently fitted (though has got the casting for one) so I will fit it to the box, cleaning it as you suggest, and check before fitting that the switch works with a multimeter or similar.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Just another thought , the switch is GAE191A ( Moss ) by the way , I put a new gearlever anti rattle kit on the new remote
before bolting it to the gearbox.SGB0002 (replacement springs cups etc ). Other suppliers are available of course.
I put a bit of heatshrink over the two wires on the switch, once tested I got out the hairdryer and shrunk it. A bit more protection under the car.
Bob
814XUW
Minor Friendly

Post by 814XUW »

Thanks all,
Switch fitted and all working. Heat shrink used as above.
Word of warning to anyone fitting one - get the right one, as there are two that look very similar but the threads are different. Second, test before committing to it, I had to space mine with three washers so it would work properly (ie not all the time!).
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

814XUW wrote:...get the right one, as there are two that look very similar but the threads are different.
Can you confirm the correect part number please? Is it GAE191A?

Thanks.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

814XUW
Minor Friendly

Post by 814XUW »

I don't think so. That's for Triumph derived boxes (or at least BL boxes I suppose). For the Midget 1500.
This is the one I bought - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200629685394
Listed as 13H4216. You'll need a 1275 box, or at least a 1275 remote, to fit one. The standard box has no facility for it.
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

Thanks! Mine is a Spidget box, so that should work :)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Declan_Burns wrote:A mate of mine did exactly the same two weeks ago.
If you don't want to remove the remote there is another way. I wrote an article several years ago for Minor Matters on how to do it. I can send it to you if you want.
Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]
Hi Declan please could you link to your article here? I'd love to have a go at fitting the switch - I remember reading your article a couple of years ago but although I found a link on another thread, it didn't load (probably result of recent site revision)
]
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Stag,
The article is in pdf format which I cannot upload. If I convert it to jpg, I end up with 10 files.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan