Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Tyre pressure query

Post by palacebear »

Yet another inquiry to demonstrate how little I know about my Moggie. It runs on Bridgestone 145/80 R 14 radial tyres. Can anyone give me an idea of what pressures I should run them at please? Answers (in p.s.i. to match my trusty old foot-pump) greatly appreciated.
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Tyre pressure query

Post by ManyMinors »

I have the same tyres on mine and find that around 26psi all round suits it very well. They are a light car and don't require high tyre pressures but you could add more if you wish.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Thanks manyminors. Just been outside and checked them. Both offsides were at 20. One nearside at 22 and one at 24. All adjusted to 26 but still looked a little soft so gone to 28 all round.
1956 4-door called Max
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I have the same tyres and find if inflated to 30/32 psi the ride is a little hard. I lowered the pressure to around 26 psi and although they look a little under inflated the ride is much improved. So I suggest 26 psi but experiment by all means. My wife keeps saying does the tyres need some air in them :roll: :lol: :lol:

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i usually use 30 psi all round
[sig]5641[/sig]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The owners handbook shows the recommended pressures for a Minor on 145/14 radial ply tyres to be 24psi at the front and 26psi for the rear but that will depend on driving style, the load carried etc. Just experiment a little and see what suits you. It seems to be in the nature of radial ply tyres that they always look a little flat - don't worry about that.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

It should not be 'what suits you'. Tyres are designed to lay the tread fairly flat on the road - the same load pressure exerted across the whole contact tread pattern. Too low and the tyres will wear on the outer edge; too high and they will wear in the centre of the tread. Taken to the extreme, high pressure would seriously affect braking and the opposite adversely affect handling.

Stick to the tyre manufacturer's recommendations is my advice. The lower aspect ratio tyres around these days were not heard of when these cars were made.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't think varying the pressures by a couple of psi (which is all people are talking about) will make an extreme difference. I have quoted the recommended tyre pressure as a guide and stated that I run my own car at around those pressures. Somebody else says they prefer their car at slightly higher pressures. I imagine they have experimented a little first and come to that outcome? I agree that, as a general rule, the manufacturers guidelines should be followed. I wasn't suggesting vast changes :wink:
I have found that different pressures can suit different makes of tyre on the Minor. Again, only by a few psi, but there is nothing wrong with a little experimentation. I wouldn't recommend going BELOW the manufacturers figures but, as I said it depends a little on driving style, the load being carried and other factors. Car manufacturers themselves generally provide a variety of recommended pressures to suit these variations don't they.

I agree that modern low profile tyres were not around when these cars were built but this discussion is not about such tyres. It specifically concerns the 145/80/14 size which I believe was offered as an option to the Morris Minor 1000.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

oliver90owner wrote: Stick to the tyre manufacturer's recommendations is my advice. The lower aspect ratio tyres around these days were not heard of when these cars were made.
I suspect you may struggle to find manufacturers' recommendations for tyres currently in production for the Morris Minor, given that it's been out of production for 46 years :wink:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I'll stick with 28psi all round for the time being. Weather permitting I'll take the Moggie out for a short run tomorrow and see how it feels. Will give me a chance to sample some of Worcestershire County Council's best pot-holes and lousy road-repairs - and to reward my endeavours with a cuppa and a slice of coffee cake at Wolverley Lock :) The ride is harsh at the best of times ... apparently the car has acquired Traveller rear springs at some point in it's life!!
Attachments
Note the ride height!
Note the ride height!
3.JPG (73.92 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
1956 4-door called Max