Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tea
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Another squealing brake

Post by Tea »

Our front brakes have some serious squealing coming from - I believe it to be both. I've read through all the past threads I could find and I'm sure that I've covered the bases. It started around 6 months ago and only squealed when braking at slow speeds. I took the drums off, cleaned out the dust and chamfered both the leading and tail end of the lining. This seemed to help for a few weeks. Then the squealing came back and this time there was a slight sheen to the lining so I I gave them a light sanding, and brushed away all the excess dust. A week or two passed and same thing again with the sheen, so repeated the previous steps and for a couple days it was fine, then the squealing. A week or so ago I went through the same process and this time the were squealing away when just gently applying the brake whilst reversing down the driveway.
The brakes aren't binding or sticking as far as I can tell so shouldn't be overheating. I'm assuming overheating can be ruled out as this time they made a racket the first time I applied the brake. The brake adjustment cam is tightened all the way and then back one click. The brake shoes are about 10 years old, but have only plenty left on them and have only done about 5,000 miles. For the first 3,000 miles they were silent.
The inside of the drums are fairly scored, so I have a feeling this could be part of the reason? I'll get a photo of the drums this weekend if that would help determine if they are at fault.

Oh and braking hard doesn't usually make them squeal, it's as you are gently braking in a 30mph hour zone.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Re: Another squealing brake

Post by dalebrignall »

i think scored drums are going to make the shoes produce a lot of dust and therfore squeek , i would go for a new set of shoes and drums if it was my car .
[sig]5641[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Mine used to make those kind of noises until I got mintex shoes. Been fine ever since.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

This is a long shot but might be worth checking each lining (if you haven't already done so) to see if there is a chamfer forming on either the inner edge (nearest the backplate) or the outer edge (furthest from the backplate). Check each front shoe for this as one or more shoes may be slightly misaligned. If so, under light braking only part of the lining will be in contact with the drum and will cause a certain amount of squealing. The remedy is simply to remove the shoes, springs etc. Clean and/or lubricate everything where appropriate and reassemble, ensuring springs are fitted correctly. If your shoes have beehive springs make sure they're fitted correctly. I had this problem years ago on an Austin Cambridge. Took weeks to identify and about an hour to rectify.
1956 4-door called Max
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

Thanks for the replies. The shoes seem fine on inspection and and are correctly set up - although another check won't be a bad thing!

I think I'll order some new shoes and see how that goes followed by new drums and report back once fitted.

Many thanks.
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Consider having your present drums turned if they have enough material on them ... I remember reading on here that some new drums are of 'tin hut far away' quality.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I would follow Shoebone. Fitting sets of drums reallyb requires new shoes at the same time. The squealing may be vanquished temporarily by gfitting new shoes but may return as the shoes bed in. If drums are badly scored, they are due for either skimming or replacement.
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

Just a quick update for future readers with similar problems - after switching the drums and 100+ miles the noise has not returned. It had been less than 0.1 miles prior to the switch. I have some Mintex shoes on the way, which I will fit should the squealing come back.
Thanks to those for the help and suggestions. Always excellent advice on the forum!