Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Head gasket issue?

Post by firedrake1942 »

Good guarantees from Bull motif tho 18 months / 18000 miles. Better than I got in the late seventies from BL on my Goldseal 948 replacement.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Me too. 3 month guarantee on a Marina 1275 Gold Seal in 1979. Lasted 5 months and got through 2 head gaskets then an oil leak due to a porous block. Swapped it for a scrap yard engine (£25 including dizzy, manfolds and carb). Lasted me 110,000 miles. Max the Moggie has a factory recon engine fitted in 1961. Win some, lose some!
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

A series are not far from us, at Ilkeston, so if you need any help Maddie,just let me know.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I had 7 Goldseals in 1978 before Longbridge took my car on a low loader and fitted a PCV stopping oil pouring out of the back main bearing. They said that the engines were so tightly re-built that the crankcase pressure was overcoming the oil thrower. Engine still in the car and performing beautifully.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

definatly go to a series spares the qualiaty of the parts in the engines from other firms is not good , ie head gaskets etc
[sig]5641[/sig]
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan

Post by mad-4-moggywhite-1 »

Hello all

Apologies for only just replying!! :roll: Steve Clem how kind of you to offer thank you! Also to everyone else thanks so much for sharing your own experiences with me and for your recommendations.
Just to update we have decided that we would rather keep the original engine and the car together therefore we are going for a total rebuild. I spoke to the man that I bought one of my other Moggies from (Tilley) who's engine is superb it sings just like it should, he told me that he had it re-built at a local engineering works some years ago, they are still going so I phoned them but they don't do it anymore. I'm guessing it may have been dad and now son has taken over, dad may not even be with us anymore. Anyway, Mike the previous owner of Tilley said what I need is an old school engineer someone who cut his teeth on these engines, and more likely to be found at an engineering works type company.

So.... I'm wondering whether there is anyone that knows of anyone like this that lives within say a 10/20 mile radius of NP26 or knows anyone retired who would really enjoy this work.

If so please do get in touch.

Many thanks

Maddie.