Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Unimatrix1066
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front hub axle

Post by Unimatrix1066 »

I want to replace the rubbers that cover the trunnions as they have perrsished, just seeing do you have to remove everything to do this
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front hub axle

Post by les »

The top and bottom trunnions, need to be removed, the top one is quite straightforward. However with non critical parts like these i have known the new rubber to be vertically cut with a razor blade, wrapped round the trunnion and joined with superglue. It's an old trick that has been used on driveshaft boots in the past, which I'd say are more critical and therefor less advisable!

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

If you want your trunnions and swivels to last it is better to fit the trunnion/swivel seals produced by Declan Burns.
If water and crud gets into - especially the bottom trunnion - the threads both male and female will not last long.
Yes it is a bit of a bind to strip ands replace the seals but the seals must be effective.

Unimatrix1066
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Unimatrix1066 »

I worked out the top one a bit like my zr van removing a driveshaft, the bottom one I've worked but a bit more involved
The seals I got at beaulieu last week from mmoc Dorset already , the cars only used in dry weathers plus undercover the rest of the time