Fitting a brake reservoir / header tank

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fitting a brake reservoir / header tank

Post by Sleeper »

The plastic pipe "weeps" dot4 etc , and the only way to fix it cheaply is metal pipe , failing that you have to use Tygon 2375

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 5&_sacat=0

John
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

ooops what's wrong with the site?

John
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

I have had no problems with leaks from the plastic header reservoir, but did have the almost invisible sweating from the rubber tube, so have replaced it with copper tube, with short rubber tube connections at each end.

To bend the copper tube I bought a simple handheld tube bender, and on the copper tube it worked OK, but apart from the smaller 3/16" brake tubing, I don't think it will cope with Kunifer (cupro-nickel) any larger than that.
Richard

arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

<t>I come to this thread rather late. Like the owner (neil morey on 25 May 2017, I have the (JLH, I think) kit with the unflared pipe connection. I appreciate that, as it is not in the pressured circuit, there is little pressure in this pipe but it surely does need flaring. The copper pipe has an outside diameter of only 1/8". Every flaring kit I can find starts at 3/16". Am I missing something? Grateful if rusty memories could be stirred...</t>
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

I have since made Morris minor kits with 6mm copper pipe which I flare. The flare for the reservoir JIC fittings must be 37° and not 45°. The company you bought it from probably does not have a proper flaring tool.

Regards
Declan
Attachments
Morris_minor_remote_reservoir_kit_6.jpg
Morris_minor_remote_reservoir_kit_6.jpg (479.51 KiB) Viewed 2114 times

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Declan
I am just in the process of refurbishing my hydraulic clutch system as the seals in the remote master cylinder appear to have failed.
I am re-using the Girling master cylinder reservoir which has a 7/16" UNF thread which is used for both mounting the reservoir and attaching the outlet pipe.
I have used 1/4" Kunifer for the solid pipes and Cohline brake fluid feed pipe for the flexible center section.
Where the 1/4" Kunifer pipe fits into either end of the flexible section I have soldered a 1/4" barrel olive about 5mm from the end of each solid pipe and that allows me to slip the flexible brake fluid feed pipe onto and over the olive which helps with securing the flexible pipe; and the ends of the flexible pipe are held in place with Mikalor mini fuel pipe clips.
The refurbished system will be very near the same as was but updated with new seals in the master cylinder.
Regards
Phil

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Phil,
That is an alternative. The fitting I use on the reservoir is a JIC hard line stainless steel connection fitting. This fitting will take a 37° flared copper pipe either 6mm or 1/4". Both work. I have the proper 37° flaring tool. I am pretty sure that a 45° flare could be used as the copper pipe is quite soft and the fitting would probably squash it out on tightening. I haven't tried it but a mate did so and said it was OK. My kit is made up in two halves to avoid drilling a large hole in the chassis leg to fit the banjo. The hole is just to feed the pipe through from inside the chassis leg and fit a grommet. Once the reservoir is fitted anywhere in the engine bay, excess copper pipe is cut off and both halves are joined by the compression union. It is quite simple and effective. A driling template for the chassis leg is provided.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Blanking plug with solder banjo_6.jpg
Blanking plug with solder banjo_6.jpg (464.93 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

Regards
Declan
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Declan_Burns wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:59 pm I have since made Morris minor kits with 6mm copper pipe which I flare. The flare for the reservoir JIC fittings must be 37° and not 45°. The company you bought it from probably does not have a proper flaring tool.
Regards
Declan
Thanks, Declan. The other 3 joints are complete, like yours but the 4th one (second from the top), allows you to cut off excess length, but needs finishing.
Shane
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

Arjay,
You can send an email to Jonathan at JLH, he's very helpful and never seems to take long to reply. He sent me a sketch and an email explaining the pipework modifications when I fitted the brake fluid reservoir. info@jlhmorrisminors.co.uk
I bought a secondhand Bluepoint flaring kit on eBay and it formed the flares well, can't recall anything unusual about it.
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

neilmorey wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 pm Arjay,
You can send an email to Jonathan at JLH, he's very helpful and never seems to take long to reply. He sent me a sketch and an email explaining the pipework modifications when I fitted the brake fluid reservoir. info@jlhmorrisminors.co.uk
I bought a secondhand Bluepoint flaring kit on eBay and it formed the flares well, can't recall anything unusual about it.
Thanks Neil. The pipe is 1/8 OD and I can't find a flare kit with anything less than 3/16! I'll try JLH.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

1/8" O.D. is too small to feed a master cylinder from a remote reservoir. It should be a minimum of 1/4" O.D. with a 11/64" I.D.

Remote brake fluid reservoirs come in either push on hose connector or screw on copper/Kunifer connector form. What type is yours?
If it is push on you do not need a flange on the pipe - or you can do as I did and solder a barrel olive on the pipe to give a bit more security.

Below is the link to the JLH remote reservoir kit.

https://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/braki ... k-kit.html

I would suggest the the solid pipe in the kit is larger than 1/8" O.D. as the tank looks to be the same as the spare tank I have which is 7/16" UNF & which uses 1/4" brake pipe with flange and which is secured with a female nut.

neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I still had the offcut of pipe in the garage, measured it with calipers and it measured as 5mm outside diameter.
The 3/16 flaring tool did the job but checking just now it did feel quite loose in the bore.

I've done some Googling and can't work out if both 3/16 and 5mm pipe exist or if they are the same thing, should convert to 4.75mm.
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Thank you both. I have a photo but can't remember how to upload so it is an attachment.
IMG_20200719_161345282.jpg
IMG_20200719_161345282.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1964 times
Let's hope it works.
Part of the pipe is not showing. I can assure you that the OD of the pipe is .129 (1/8" nominal). The fittings are all screw type.
I have dropped a note to JLH. He will soon tell me if it is his or not.
Shane
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

3/16" AND 5mm pipe do exist but they are not the same O.D. I am in the process of replacing the brake pipes on my Minor with new 3/16" Kunifer pipe.

Having enlarged your photo I would suggest that you have 3/16" pipe fitted (which has an internal diameter (I.D.) of approx 1/8"). The unions being marked with the indent on the corners indicating that they are BSF (3/8" ?). I have a new 3/16" BSF male union in front of me which is an exact copy of the ones shown in your photo.

3/16" = 0.1875"

5mm = 0.1968"

1/8" = 0.1250"

arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Sorry Phil, is that for me? if so, see below: you owe me a beer, if we should ever meet! I have been a bit more careful with the measuring stick this time...but it slipped from .125 to .126 as I picked up the camera. Shane
Attachments
IMG_20200719_200228527.jpg
IMG_20200719_200228527.jpg (690.27 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am still of the opinion that your brake pipe is not what you are reading with your digital caliper.
Has your caliper been calibrated or did you zero it before measuring.
I am also still of the opinion that if the pipe is 1/8" O.D. the pipe is too small to feed a master cylinder.
1/8" O.D. would not have any real internal I.D/volume to be useful.
If you look at your digital caliper (and discounting the digital readout) the number 2 is visible on the top scale and 4 plus marks on the bottom scale.
My own digital caliper when measuring a 3/16" O.D. pipe shows less than 2 on the top scale and the bottom scale shows a visible 4 marks when measuring 3/16" O.D. pipe.
Therefore I consider your digital caliper to be inaccurate.
Test your caliper on a 1/8" & 3/16" drill shank and see what the readings are after you have zeroed the digital readout.

This is how your Vernier should look if the pipe is 1/8" O.D.. The drill is 1/8" O.D.. Note:- only the 1 of the top scale and 2 marks of the bottom scale are visible.
Vernier 1.JPG
Vernier 1.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1910 times
This how your Vernier should look when measuring 3/16" O.D. pipe.
Vernier 2.JPG
Vernier 2.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1906 times

arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Thanks for that Phil. I should have known better than to trust a modern device (or the modern part of it). A 10mm drill shows up as 8. IOU the beer, if we meet! Now I just need to find a local helper who can work magic with the loose end, as I am clearly not up to that. :oops:
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I agree with Phil. The bore of that pipe is too small for a header tank.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
fasthamster
Minor Friendly

Post by fasthamster »

Hi,

Using this thread as I have a related question.
Does anyone the MMOC have a solution for sourcing a brake fluid reservoir tank/kit for use with silicone brake fluid, if so would you be able to help me in sourcing a supplier of a similar kit please? :)
I would really like to continue benefiting from using silicone brake fluid but with an under the bonnet solution for topping up. :D

Thanks for your time,
Robert
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »