Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Hif44 on standard engine

Post by GavinL »

So, I've got twin SUs from an MG Midget on my standard '68 1098 Minor, and on my 1275 Midget I have a single HIF44. I'm considering swapping them around, putting the SUs on the Midget and the HIF44 on Vanessa the Minor. I've searched the forum and the posts I've found which mention HIF44s are usually in conjunction with engines with 1275 heads fitted. My question is would an HIF44 work ok on a standard 1098 Minor, and which needle / spring combination would work best.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Hif44 on standard engine

Post by dalebrignall »

ive got this on my 1098 but be warned you need to have a maniflow exhaust or similar and 1275 head to get the benifit . i origionally just had the induction kit on standard 1098 head and exhaust and it constricted the head felt like it was constipated no pull at all .the needle is a fairly rich one fitted , the end result is lots of mid range tourque top speed round to the fuel guage a series spares did the work very good firm :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Thanks,but the question is will a stock 1098 work ok with an HIF44? The car is my wife's and will be used as an everyday car, so performance isn't her priority. As well as a standard engine it has a standard exhaust manifold and exhaust. I'm only considering fitting the. HIF because I have it.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Gavin,

An HIF44 on a standard 1098 engine is much too big to work well, and I would expect the fuel consumption to be very poor as well. It would need at least a 12G940 head + better exhaust to get any benefit from it. Even an HIF38 is big for a standard 1098 engine.
Richard

dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dalebrignall »

to be honest if you put it on standard head and exhaust it will be horriable to drive i found this out the hard way you need to do the head and exhaust to get the results
[sig]5641[/sig]
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Thanks for the advice. In that case I'll leave the HIF44 on the Midget where it works ok and look round for a standard Minor carb and manifold to fit on Vanessa.