Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

parts quality

Post by dalebrignall »

i had a new set of wheelbearings fitted last year ,they have done 7000 miles and are now toast .when they arrived through the post i opened up the box and noticed they were from china . i was perswaded from the supplier that they used thease on the cars they service without any problems . so i thaught ok lets go for those , i wish i had got the more expensive ones . got to do the job again before mot/uk .we live and learn . suppliers can you stop selling the rubbish , i am happy to pay more for something that works , rant over :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: parts quality

Post by greendefender123 »

Hence the reason iv reused my original after re greasing them. Also got a second hand pair for spares aswell. Hopefully il be ok. Iv reused everything I could on my project as im fed up of cheap parts not lasting on other projects.
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Budgie »

I bought a pair of front wheel bearings two years ago from a well known minor supplier and within less than a year and only 200 miles later they had to be adjusted for the MOT as they were dangerously slack. I've tightened them up once more since and that's only 300 miles on !
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

greendefender123 wrote:Hence the reason iv reused my original after re greasing them. Also got a second hand pair for spares aswell. Hopefully il be ok. Iv reused everything I could on my project as im fed up of cheap parts not lasting on other projects.
I agree, plus there is a degree of satisfaction gained at avoiding being ripped off! :D

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

My advice would be to take the bearing, or its number, to your local bearing supplier and ask for prices of cheap, 'middle of the road' and high quality replacements. Your choice, then, of buying the right quality. I use ABC for bearings, belts and other sundries.

With some bearings, an agricultural manufacturer (like John Deere) can be a good source. They do not fit inferior bearings to heavy duty machines.