Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alloriginal1owner
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

948cc cooling system seems not to work correctly

Post by alloriginal1owner »

Dear mates,

My Milly's new heart still doesn't beat as it should. This thread is about her cooling system, I need your help, please:

She's got a "new" engine this summer. I replaced the radiator, the thermostat and all tubes to the cooling system by new ones, the heating radiator inside the passenger's cabin was washed up and blown free.

But: When running the engine, the bottom parts of radiator, tubes and the whole heating stay cool. My next step would be replacing the water pump. Is there any possibility to test the installed one without removing it? Any other ideas, please?!

Thanks, Frank
Milly: 1957 four-door-saloon, 948cc. Moved to Hamburg 2008, off the road 2012, finally back May 2021.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: 948cc cooling system seems not to work correctly

Post by liammonty »

I wouldn't expect the bottom radiator hose to be hot even after running for some time - the radiator is large and efficient and water coming out of it tends to be very cool. This is normal. In terms of the heater being 'cold' (this is what I read from your post, though it's a litttle unclear) you don't mention if you've taken the car for a good run since the engine replacement. I suspect you have an airlock in the hoses to the heater, which you said have been replaced.

Is there actually any evidence of the engine overheating? If not, I would suggest it would be unnecessary to start playing with the water pump.
Last edited by liammonty on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Doubt its the water-pump. If its turning then its almost certainly working. Sounds like an air-lock. When you refilled the cooling system, was the heater valve open (allowing water into the heater)? Did you run the engine up to temperature with the radiator cap removed, and the heater valve open?

My car has the round black heater which usually gets warm after 4 or 5 miles. Changed some hoses a while ago. Heater remained cold for about 15 miles then warmed up and been fine ever since.
1956 4-door called Max
alloriginal1owner
Minor Friendly

Post by alloriginal1owner »

I like the idea of an airlock. Unfortunately I'm not able to ride the car until the brakes will be able to stop her. I understand: This can be normal. right? A ride would shake that airlock away?
Milly: 1957 four-door-saloon, 948cc. Moved to Hamburg 2008, off the road 2012, finally back May 2021.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

If you're lucky it will clear itself with use. Before you drive anywhere, try what I suggested above. Radiator cap off. Heater valve open. Run the engine until it warms up (10 minutes should be enough). Check the water level and top it up if neccessary. Radiator cap back on. Turn the heater fan/blower on and check for heat!
1956 4-door called Max
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

have you tryed flushing out the hearer there might be a load of gunge lurking in there i had this when i had an engine change its easy to flush out
[sig]5641[/sig]