Grease monkey - what's best for trunnions?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Grease monkey - what's best for trunnions?

Post by Oldmogman »

Could anyone advise on the best type of grease for trunnions?

I've used Castrol LM for years but have heard some people recommend a moly grease, which seems to be a good idea.

However, the Halfords website says it's for CV joints and 'multi-purpose greasing tasks', which sounds a bit vague.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... rease-500g

And can anyone advise on the best quality grease? What's Comma like? Is it as good as Castrol - or is there a better brand?

Finally, if I did switch to a moly grease, would I need to dismantle the trunnions to clean out the old grease, or would it be OK to flush the old stuff out using the new grease (and ditto the grease gun)?

Thanks all!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Grease monkey - what's best for trunnions?

Post by philthehill »

Castrol LM grease has been replaced with Castrol Multi Purpose grease which to all intents and purposes is the same product.
If you want to use moly grease - use it - it can be used for general purpose greasing without any problems - you do not have to clean out the old Castrol LM grease or what ever you have been using. They are compatible.
I consider Castrol greases to be the best but so long as the grease has a recognised BS or other official standard mark you will be ok.
You could even use water resistant grease as when water gets into the swivel threads the normal grease will break down and become useless.
What ever grease you use the swivel top and bottom seals must be in perfect condition otherwise you are wasting your time.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I agree with Phil, but would go for moly if you can find it. Otherwise, mix a small amount of diesel with the grease. This will help to stop it drying out and going hard. Don't overdo it, the grease should not be too thin.
edd_barker
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by edd_barker »

Wading into the grease debate.....

When working on my 60s outboards I use 'Evinrude' branded grease, which is marketed as waterproof and "will not wash out, even in salt water". So I tend to use this for everything. I imagine it is a fair bit pricier than a big tub of moly, but a tube has lasted me years. I wouldn't recommend it for bearings or anything high speed as it is very sticky to apply.

If salt resistant it could be worth basting some underside parts with it perhaps?

Edd
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I use something called ZX1 supergrease, its got the snakeoil ZX1 part in, but is decent grease and is serving my trunnions well. Claims to be water resistant.

The best thing you can do for your trunnions is fit a set of Declans seals, way surpasses anything else you will find - highly recommended.
Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

Thanks guys, that's great.

Yes, I've just finished a tub of Duckam's Keenol, which is waterproof but sadly no longer available.

However, I like the idea of the extra protection for the trunnion threads provided by the moly grease, although it will of course mean getting an additional grease gun 'cos I don't think the needle rollers in the propshaft would like the moly goo!

Not sure about the track rod ends, tho - moly or general purpose grease? Anyone?
Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

Forgot to ask about Declan's famous seals!

Might pop in a set over the winter - does anyone have a contact for him?

Thanks all
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Moly grease will do everything - no need to get an extra grease gun.

Send Declan a PM.