Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

rear brakes 1098

Post by moggiethouable »

Afternoon All, I am to replace the n/s rear brake hydraulic cylinder, it looks an awfully snug fit, do I have to remove part of the hub (held in by a philips screw) as it seems to foul the old unit ?
Thanks in advance.
Where angels fear to tread
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: rear brakes 1098

Post by philthehill »

The rear brake cylinder can be removed and fitted without resorting to slackening off the Philips screw and pulling out slightly the half-shaft which is held in place by the Philips screw.
Saying that if you find it easier by undoing the Philips screw and moving the half-shaft out slightly do it. Just check the rear axle oil level afterwards.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Do not release the cross head screw unless you need to remove the half shaft. You won't gain any extra clearance as the hub will remain in place, and you will probably cause an oil leak unless you replace the paper gasket and rubber O-ring. Instead, buy an original, not a pattern cylinder as they are a better fit. With all the pipework disconnected and the rubber boot removed, rotate the hub so that the thinnest part (where the stud does not mount) is adjacent to the cylinder and then you can fiddle the old cylinder out and the new one in.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Many thanks people, I shall weather permitting sort it at the weekend.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Well, it was an education.
Removal of the half shaft indeed would make no difference at all, however, things improved dramatically when I slacked off and removed the 4 bolts holding the back plate in place, this gave me lots of space to both remove and refit the brake cylinder.
Job done and everything is hunky dory.
It would have been easier of course if I had a local friendly octopus to hold the brake shoes while I fitted the springs, simultaneously keeping the piston on the cylinder from falling with the snail cam slowly following suit, ambidextrous doesnt even come close.