Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ed8die
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Gearbox front cover RHD to LHD

Post by ed8die »

I think I am in need of a new gearbox for my 1098 because I have à rattling sound with the clutch up.
I suspected the clutch to be faulty, so I changed the clutch and pressure plate, but the rattle is still there.
Only the gearbox to do then. I live in the Netherlands and am looking to order a box from the UK.
However, The ones available from the UK all have the wrong front cover (RHD)
What Will fly out if I remove the front cover to exchange it for a LHD.
Is this an easy change or are there shims washers or bearings.
Oh and I read sth about the spigot bush? Where is this located?
Thanks for your help.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox front cover RHD to LHD

Post by philthehill »

http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/TO ... arings.htm

The spigot bush is located in the rear of the crankshaft. The front of first motion shaft of the gear box is located in it and the first motion shaft turns in it when the clutch is depressed.

Have a look at the modified LHD cover with oil seal from ESM. May be worth a consideration.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/gearbo ... ew-p830915

ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

Could a worn spigot bush cause a rattling sound with the clutch up?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Very unlikely - more likely to be a pressure pad retaining spring if the rattle is coming from the bell housing.
You also need to check the rest of the clutch linkage for wear.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

goede avond !

you may like to have a look at my thread on LHD conversion

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61069

There was a Problem with the then available gearbox front cover for the LHD as described therein. Perhaps the suppliers have since corrected the Problem, other wise you will Need to mill out some metal
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Nickol
Many thanks for pointing out the problem you encountered with the ESM L/H drive gearbox front cover.
Comparing the ESM front cover L/H drive with seal against front cover Pt No: 2A3087 (9M series) with seal the later has a much deeper and wider bowl for nut clearance.
Comparing the two front covers and the two first motion shafts via the link I posted above I am surprised that the ESM L/H drive front cover does not have as such a deep bowl as the 2A3087 front cover which has a 17mm depth with seal fitted.
It would be interesting to know if the ESM front covers with seal are BMC parts or after market.
The quality of the casting (non machined surfaces) is certainly not as good as the genuine BMC front covers I have on the shelf.
The 2A3087 with seal front cover does not have the oil seal backstop as the ESM cover and that is the main difference and that thickness of alloy backstop appears to be the problem leading to the requirement to relieve the inside of the casting to clear the nut.
Phil

ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

Again, is there anything that will fly out into space if I remove the front cover or is everything bolted down inside the cover. I am thinking of springs or bearings held in place by the front cover? Is this also the case with the cover on the side to check the gears?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Nothing will fly out of the front of the gearbox when the front cover is removed.
You may find one or more shims (item numbers: 58/63) that adjust the front bearing (item number: 61) fore and aft float but they will not fly out.
See diagram below:-
Fitting the new front cover may require you to adjust the shimming thickness.

When removing the gearbox side cover - remove the cover with the cover uppermost and horizontal.
There are springs/plungers and balls that can come out but if you are careful nothing will fly out - see diagram for details.
(Mainly numbers: 112/113/119/120/133/134).
Attachments
img104.jpg
img104.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1472 times

ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

Thanks for the clear pic Phil, much appreciated.
Now it's time to start the hunt for a recon gearbox, alternatively I will look for a trustworthy company in the Netherlands to recondition my own box.
Any Dutch Minor owners with experience in this are invited to react . . . .