Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Ebay brake shoes "Borg &Beck"

Post by Edward1949 »

Borg & Beck branded 8" shoes for under £18 post free for a set of 4.
Does anyone know if these are likely to be good quality or is it too good to be true?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-MINOR- ... Swdd9aaTIA
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Ebay brake shoes "Borg &Beck"

Post by ManyMinors »

Borg & Beck are just a "brand" nowadays. The brand name, which was bought by "First Line" I think, might imply UK manufacture but I doubt they are manufactured here. Borg & Beck clutches are cheap pattern copies so I expect the brake shoes are as well.
They might be perfectly OK but they are cheap. Cheap and top quality rarely go hand in hand in my experience.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

ESM do shoes from £12.50 + vat. Or mintex ones at around £21. As they are a reputable concern that's where l would buy. Usually next day delivery as well.

Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

Many thanks for the advice, reckon I'll go for Mintex
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Sleeper »

Bought a "quality" B&B Master cylinder the other day ,was waiting for mine to be re-sleeved , wasn't impressed , it went straight back , fortunately the re-sleevers came up trumps it in time..

John :wink:
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

I am afraid the Borg & Beck brand is one I would personally choose not use again as I lost confidence due to when a year or so ago using a 'B&B' clutch then discovered at cost that it was an inferior quality far east 'branded' clutch .
Travelled about 5 miles and smoke issuing from the rubbish quality clutch that then failed totally involving additional hastle of car recovery back to home. :(
It proved that it can often be false economy not to go for a part with known recommended pedigree reliability at the appropriate cost in the end considering that it meant having to do a clutch installation twice over.

Don't know if their quality has now been improved upon in any way but that experience involving extra expense and time I think has personally put me off the brand.
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon