Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rjt1951
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Torsion adjustment

Post by rjt1951 »

Hi, I know there are hundreds of threads on torsion bars but can I ask a simple question. I want to adjust the ride height a small amount on the near side. If I put the front end on stands and jack up under the suspension can I take out the bolt and move it to a lower hole in the plate? I know each hole equates to around 1/4''. Not sure if jacking the suspension will take the tension out of the torsion bar enough. Just looking for 3/4'' adjustment or maybe I am just too fussy!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Torsion adjustment

Post by philthehill »

You will have to disconnect the top trunnion on the side for which you want to adjust the suspension height - this is to take any and all of the loading off the torsion bar before you can remove the bolt from the adjustment plate.
When you do disconnect the top trunnion tie the swivel back to the body to ensure that no strain is placed on the brake pipe.
Make sure that the car is safely jacked up with axle stands under and the rear wheels chocked as well as the handbrake applied.

rjt1951
Minor Fan

Post by rjt1951 »

Thank you for your help.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Numerous manuals will tell you that you need to dismantle the lower suspension, but Phil is spot on ins saying that you can remove the top link - it's much easier to take that off the pin in the damper than to remove the lower arm.