Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Brake pedal return spring

Post by Mark Wilson »

Help! Not often I get defeated, but after several hours of trying I have so far not only failed to get the spring in place, but I've distorted the end of the new spring in the effort to lever it into position. Should it be so difficult? The chassis legs are new and I'm beginning to wonder if the welded tag has been positioned too far back. Any tips on this job would be much appreciated.

Mark
simmitc

Re: Brake pedal return spring

Post by simmitc »

Not always practical on a running car, but if the legs have been renewed then fitting the spring is a lot easier with the pedal out of the way, then hook the spring onto the pedal as you fit that.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

The engine isn't in, so not too much dismantling to give that method a try. Many thanks for what sounds like a very sensible suggestion!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'm sure the above suggested method is guaranteed to work but if fitting the spring with everything assembled you might find it easier to fit the spring onto the pedal first and with pointed pliers on the straight part feed the other end into the chassis bracket, this being thin metal the spring end is easier to thread through. Admitting not as easy as pedal removal but maybe worth a try.

amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by amgrave »

Yes, that's how I did it Les. Took about 4 attempts if I remember rightly.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

My least favorite job on a Minor. :evil: Always takes me about two hours, and horribly bruised knees/shins/elbows.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Well, it's done, thanks all. I did try removing the pedal, but found lining everything up under spring tension rather difficult (I seem to be in useless mode at the moment...). In the end I used a variant on Les's method - I cut a notch in the end of an old steel rule and used this to push the spring down to the welded tab. Phew...... :-?
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Hi Mark ... Absolutely agree with you .. an absolute pain ! ! ! ! ! ... after installing my refurbished Brake Master Cylinder (tricky enough in itself ..) I assumed the final bits putting everything back would be simple and straightforward. Then I encountered this !!! ...
Mine is a 1957 split-screen and I assume the chassis spring-setup is the same ?
Getting the spring back in place into the tab/side of the chassis rail while under tension with your hand and forearm stuck up the channel while squeezing and twisting pliers - then trying to invisibly find the damn insert hole in the side of the channel - while lying on the front seat or floor pan ...... what an awkward mission.
Eventually I gave up and used a split-pin , inserted it first into the hole with the Loop-head outwards and then stretched the spring into that. Much easier to get the spring-end into the end of a split-pin .. Was this situation the same as what you are describing?
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've no experience of early Minors, but it does sound a very similar situation. I've possibly got slightly better access as I've got the whole gearbox cover off, not just the master cylinder cover. Don't think I'd be happy with putting that much stress on the end of a split pin, though - there is quite a bit more metal to resist stress in the tab.
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Mark , yes agree .. as expected really I should have photos ... '57 Minor - floor cover all-in-one. exposes chassis rails and entire GBox housing entirely. from memory the forward end of the return spring hooks into a hole about 12 inches up the rail (yes I recall in a tab I think) I considered the actual tension but on testing it the split pin is well up to the task... cheers