Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TomC
MMOC Member: No

Rattling from Water Pump?

Post by TomC »

Hi all,

My 1958 Morris has a rattle coming from under the bonnet; at first I thought it might have been from the heating unit under the dashboard, as whilst I'm sat behind the wheel it sounded like it was coming from right in front of me. However, I managed to film the sound when the car was stopped and idling, and took this video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WxjTSDN8FbOO2wGH2

It sounds a lot louder when you're inside the car with the bonnet down (acoustics, maybe?) - as though someone's shaking a penny around in a tin can. It happens mainly when I'm braking or turning a corner, as though there's something loose that's rattling around. My question is, is this coming from the water pump? The fan feels pretty secure and isn't catching on anything, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I'd like to be sure before having it replaced - although the pump is only thirty quid, I'd rather not pay for an unnecessary labour cost.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Last edited by TomC on Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rattling from Water Pump?

Post by les »

You might get an indication of pump problems by checking if there is any play in the bearings. Try rocking the fan side to side to check.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Having seen and listened to the attached video the noise I would suggest the noise is the timing chain.
When was it last changed and what mileage has been covered since?

Check the flan blades for cracking radiating away from the 1/4" bolt holes which is a known problem.
There should be a strengthening plate bolted in front of the fan blades.

Check the engine steady for security - the bracket under the battery tray is known to crack and fail.
If it has failed fit a Grumpy's engine steady kit - well worth fitting even if the engine steady bracket is ok.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Could it be a smashed ball in the dynamo front bearing?
Cardiff, UK
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

To eliminate the water pump and dynamo try a short engine run with the fan belt off, if the noise is still there then most likely the timing chain.
TomC

Post by TomC »

Thanks all. I've got an alternator, so it can't be a dynamo issue. It does sound like a bearing rattling around which is why it was suspected it might be the water pump. I'll pass these posts onto my mechanic and suggest the timing chain is looked at too.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If it does turn out to be the timing chain I would recommend that a duplex set up is used which will give a longer life and be a lot quieter than the standard simplex with tensioner rubber rings.
Use the search facility for fitting details.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

That sounds like metal on metal to me - you haven't by any chance leaned on the metal 'guard' on the rear of the top of the radiator, have you? If so (as I have done in the past...) it would be worth checking you haven't bent it down slightly - if you have, the fan blades can catch it, making a noise like the one I think I can hear... It's a simple enough fix if that's what it is!!!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I would acquire a wooden handled screwdriver and listen at the handle end while touching the various areas suspected with the business end, while the engine is running of course.
The sound will be amplified when you find it.
Where angels fear to tread
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »