Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MichaelBeck
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Correct Brake Pedal Position

Post by MichaelBeck »

Hi All

I'm sure this has been covered before, I have seen all the posts about the correct free play and adjustment but not this particular Q..

What is the normal / correct distance for the brake pedal to stop at when bled and adjusted correctly. My pedal stops at approx 1 1/2' off the floor.

I have bled the all new hard lines, M/C and wheel cylinders & adjusted the shoes and pushrod as per the workshop manual.

The pedal has what 'feels' to me like a lot of travel before stopping at around 1 1/2' from the floor however I don't have anything to compare it to.

Is that about the normal place for it to stop?

Thank You
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Correct Brake Pedal Position

Post by philthehill »

Start with the up position.
With the brake against the underside of the floor there should be approx. 3/16" free play between the master cylinder operating rod (3/4" at the pedal) and the master cylinder piston.
Adjust the operating rod as required.

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I'd be happy with 1.5" from floor, but follow Phil's advice to get the correct setting.
MichaelBeck
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MichaelBeck »

Thanks Guys

I tweaked my adjustment - It was pretty close. My pedal stops & is firm at 1 1/2 - 2 inches from the floor. I was curious as I don't have a benchmark to compare it to but from what you have said that is pretty normal.

Thanks