Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tim01577
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil leak around rear of sump

Post by Tim01577 »

I have just got a wee traveller with the standard 1098 engine in it , after leaving it in the garage over night I found a small amount of oil on the floor to the rear of the engine . After a good clean of the engine I left it for 24hr without running the engine and yet again a small amount of oil on the floor, after inspection it look to becoming from the end of the sump . My question is would this be the sump gasket or the scroll seal , as the oil is not coming out of the wee hole on the bell housing. Any help would be great full.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil leak around rear of sump

Post by philthehill »

First off I would advise that you remove the sump and replace the sump gaskets taking care not to have the cork seals too long.
See BMC wksp man section AA. Fig AA.26 & AA.27 for details.
Soak the corks overnight in engine oil after cutting. Lightly smear the sump gaskets with grease. That keeps the gaskets supple and makes them easy to remove and the majority of the time re-useable.
If it was the rear crank scroll the oil would be exiting the bell housing hole fitted with the jiggle pin.
Please let us know how you get on.

Tim01577
Minor Friendly

Post by Tim01577 »

Thanks I will order up a new sump gasket tomorrow and let you know how things work out
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The 'sump gasket' is comprised of a set of four pieces - the two side pieces which are shaped differently to follow the bottom of the block and the two end corks.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

I have never had much success with the cork seals. I use the rubber seals from the 1275 engine which need minor dressing to fit. No leaks in the last 10 years.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Tim01577
Minor Friendly

Post by Tim01577 »

Do you find it best to use sealant to stick it in place and if so which would be the best.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have never had any problems with the cork sump seals therefore never had need for sealant to stick the seal whether it be cork or the later neoprene 1275 type.

Tim01577
Minor Friendly

Post by Tim01577 »

Thanks Phil, I will try this at the weekend
Tim01577
Minor Friendly

Post by Tim01577 »

After a rather long time I removed the sump as the drip had change to a pool on the garage floor, and much to my surprise the new gasket and cork seals worked fine, I also change the oil filter at the same time and not a moment to soon , it looked like someone had twisted the filter element around like ring out a cloth . Trixie is now drip free and a happy Traveller again.
Many thanks to all
minijojo
Minor Fan

Post by minijojo »

Tim01577
Minor Friendly

Post by Tim01577 »

If I find that the sump starts to leak oil again from the back seal I will try this new seal are they off the 1275 engine .