Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

What brand of Degreaser?

Post by culp »

Does anyone have any recommendations on de-greaser? I am restoring my 1970 traveller and I have it stripped down and the body shell on its side. There are oil dirt and grease all over the underside where you'd expect. I had some old "gunk" which worked well, I recently bought a new lot and it's hopeless! despite liberal application and a pressure washer. It looks to have been reformulated and made far less effective.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: What brand of Degreaser?

Post by les »

Manually scrap and wipe most of it off, and used in moderation petrol is effective. ( I'll wait for the outcry!) There used to be a solution that was the bees knees for grease removal but now banned, wouldn't you know. I think it was used as a type of anaesthetic originally, presumably via the fumes. The problem being anything slightly iffy has to be left out of a product now, hence the reduced efficiency. Paint stripper is another example.

robandsophie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by robandsophie »

I had same problem, new 'gunk' is rubbish.
I agree with Les, good scraper (purdy multitool scraper I found really good) get the worst off and then I used white spirit - works a treat with a bit of coarse wire wool, plenty of blue roll.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I've always found Jizer to be very effective.
sirrom918
Minor Friendly

Post by sirrom918 »

Have heard some very good reports on Morris Lubricants 'Lydian' professional solvent degreaser, though haven't as yet tried it myself. It's available mail order or from their stockists.

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/prod ... fluid.html
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Much obliged for the help
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

White spirit is of course really good, also good is the CleanPro heavy duty degreaser sold by Bookers - works a treat on the BBQ as well.

Isoflurane is good at getting oil, grease and ink out, it is a volatile Anaesthetic agent though so is also very effective at putting you to sleep !.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I like the Bilt Hamber products although havent used on same scale you are talking about I've found it great cleaning smaller parts.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

biomed32uk wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:32 pm White spirit is of course really good, also good is the CleanPro heavy duty degreaser sold by Bookers - works a treat on the BBQ as well.

Isoflurane is good at getting oil, grease and ink out, it is a volatile Anaesthetic agent though so is also very effective at putting you to sleep !.
Of all the chemicals I used in the lab that could be used for removing grease etc., isoflurane is about the last I would have chosen having seen its effects!!!!! Ethanol and acetone 'borrowed' from the lab used to deal with most of my cleaning conundrums at home. They had the added advantage of not sending me to sleep or killing me if I wasn't careful enough with them, too :lol:. I'm sure isoflurane's stain-removal properties are splendid, though :wink: