Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Throttle cable woes

Post by Murrayminor »

Good morning
I have replaced the fraying,damaged and rough looking throttle cable on Gracie my minor 1000.
The new cable is free moving and smooth, the throttle pedal is free moving and smooth but when I introduce them to each other I can feel a grinding like the cable is rubbing on metal.
I have checked the aluminium "tube" on the bulkhead and that is clear, I have put copper grease in there as well but still the pedal feels rough.
I have it adjusted correctly with the return spring bringing it back to tick over when the pedal is released.
If I move the pedal by hand it feels rough, I would have thought it should have a smooth operation although it feels ok when driving.
Have I missed anything obvious?
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Throttle cable woes

Post by philthehill »

Remove the inner cable and lubricate with some 3 in 1 oil. Make sure that the ends of the outer cable are not burred/rough.
Reassemble well lubricated including the pedal pivots.
Might be a good idea to buy a nylon/Teflon lined outer cable to give an extra smooth operation.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MAXI- ... rk:15:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car- ... :rk:1:pf:0

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Remove the "aluminium tube" and check the hole in the bulkhead where the cable passes through. It may be worth enlarging that before refitting the tube as I have known some new cables catch at this point. Also check that the new cable is sitting in the pedal correctly - some have enlarged nipples that do not sit cleanly in the recess and that alters the line of the cable, rubbing on the hole as above.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Thanks for the replies.
The cable is brand new and was oiled again before fitting, it is smooth as silk when hand operated off the pedal.
I thought the hole in the bulkhead may have been the issue but on checking it the cable sits dead centre of the hole even when opening the throttle.
I have adjusted the cable and the return spring but no joy.
I will try anot her cable and see where that takes me.
Cheers
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor