Hi, wondered if anyone had picture/ advice/diagram re fitting the above
Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fitting ESM hydraulic clutch assembly

Post by philthehill »

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/clutch ... ly-p829580

Whilst I do not a ESM kit the hydraulic clutch kit fitted to my Minor predates the ESM kit. The ESM kit is fitted in a similar manner.
The master cylinder is mounted on the cross member and the slave cylinder is mounted on the bel housing. You do need to have a bell housing with the two threaded mounting holes for the slave cylinder.
My clutch arm is a 1275cc Midget item.
I have made the connections between the slave cylinder and the release arm adjustable as is the rod between the clutch lever and the clutch master cylinder. As can be seen I have increased the length of the clutch pedal arm to give a easier pedal.
The clutch reservoir is mounted under the bonnet. I would recommend using one of Declan Burns connecting pipes as they are superior in every way.
The hose between the slave cylinder and the master cylinder must be flexible and not solid otherwise the pipe may fracture as a result of the engine movement. I have used a braided hose between the slave cylinder and the slave cylinder feed pipe.
Photos below:-
100_1457.JPG
100_1457.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1118 times
100_1452.JPG
100_1452.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1118 times
100_1455.JPG
100_1455.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1118 times

Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

There's some more info in this earlier MMOC thread, which may be of use:

viewtopic.php?t=26700&start=15

I think the diagram shown is that for an Owen Burton kit, similar to the one I fitted years ago now to my Traveller (with MG Midget 1275cc engine and its heavier diaphragm clutch).
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by moggiegeek »

Beautiful bit of engineering. Looks like ive got a busy workshop winter.
Ill see what esm's kit looks like.
Ive got a 1275 clutch lever arm so I could weld in a couple of cm to give increased leverage and easier pedal. Does this disturb the geometry of the hydraulic ram or do you lengthen ( with adjustment threaded adjustment to compensate.
Flexible connector to reservoir is I think included in the esm kit judging from photos -hopefully also slave to master cylinder pipe.
In one of your photos I can see what looks like a triangular quadrant of some kind - am I mistaken?
Many thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The MG release arm is the correct length and there is no need to weld in an extension. The Minor release arm can be used as per the diagram supplied by chipper.
The triangular fillet may be the additional fillet welded to the end of the clutch pedal the keep the alignment with the master cylinder correct and which helps with the leverage.
If the ESM diagram is used there is very little (if any) room between the new clutch master cylinder and the chassis leg and floor. Not enough for the reservoir pipe and delivery pip to fit vertically above the master cylinder. That is why the master cylinder has been moved towards the centre of the cross member and it is mounted off vertical.

The rear face of the cross member is not strong enough to carry the master cylinder with anything more than a standard Minor 1098cc pressure plate and because there is a very strong Ford 2.0 litre diaphragm racing pressure plate fitted I had to fit the additional strengthening plate to spread the load. which can be seen in the second photo. Even with the additional leverage and hydraulic advantage the pedal is very hard to press down but I have got used to it with subsequent enlargement of the muscles in my left leg. :D

As an aside - this was one of the first if not the first time a 1275cc Midget engine had been mated to the CS Auto Classics Minor/Ford bell housing and Ford 2000E/Ford Bullet 4 speed gearbox so all the fitment was suck it and see to get everything right which it did very successfully. The Ford gearbox is now a full Quaife S/C C/R Clubman box.