Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Crankshaft damper

Post by philthehill »

I have recently purchased what appears to be a NOS crankshaft damper with Pt No: TAM2011 cast into it.
I believe that it may have been original fitment to a 998cc classic Mini 'A' Plus engine.
There are lots of part numbers prefixed with TAM relative to the classic Mini 998cc 'A' Plus engine but TAM2011 does not appear in any of the classic Mini parts suppliers lists. I have even tried varying the number each way as BMC/BL were well known for adjusting the part numbers relative to casting numbers.
It has the standard timing disc attached to the rear of the damper.
Here is a photo of a similar TAM2011 damper pulley. The TAM2011 recently purchased is not the same as shown.
Crankshaft damper.jpg
Crankshaft damper.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Any information relative to the TAM2011 damped crankshaft pully will be gratefully received.

I have had and still have other damped pulleys and whilst similar they are not the same as TAM2011.

Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Re: Crankshaft damper

Post by paul 300358 »

Have a look at (google) Anatomy of the classic mini page 87 paragraph tenth type, it states, similar to type fitted to 1100 (ADO 16), pictures 14 to 16.
Unfortunately my lap top has stopped cutting and paste for this site.

Paul
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for posting that Paul. I'll be getting that book!

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Paul
Many thanks for the information - the TAM2011 damper is pictured.
I do not know why it is not listed at the major Mini parts suppliers - perhaps obsolete?
As it is different to the damper(s) I already have I was concerned that it had been messed around with but thankfully not.

The book is also on my Christmas list.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anatomy-of-t ... :rk:1:pf:0

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A bit cheaper with Amazon Phil, I've just ordered! ---- oh dear, down memory lane again! :D

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Looking again at the pictures 15 & 16 in the damper section of the book link relative to TAM2011 they are different. The width of rubber showing from the front view is different. Picture 15 is the same as the damper I purchased and picture 16 is different again to the damper TAM2011 shown in my original post. So that makes three different types of TAM2011. If that is the case the Mini book is not definitive.
The TAM2011 damper is much lighter than damper CAM4902 and that suits my purposes better.

Les
It must be something to do with my age but I can remember BMC life before Minis - :cry:

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It's all relative. I feel for those that will be looking back with fond memories of the Ford Fiesta! :D

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I have only just realised that mine is a TAM2011, it apparently was lightened by MED before I purchased it off eBay. The timing disk had already been removed. This raises the following question, I have used the original bolt with the fitting for the starting handle, is the A+ bolt different?

Cheers, Paul
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Paul
There are two crankshaft damper bolts used on the 'A' Series engine and they are:-

Pt No: AEA312. Early dampers 1963 - 1987, pre 'A' Plus. Identified by a flat front face.

http://www.minispares.com/product/classic/AEA312.aspx

Pt No: TAM2019. For dampers fitted to 'A' Plus engines. Identified by a dimple on its front face.

http://www.minispares.com/product/classic/TAM2019.aspx

The main difference between the two is the chamfer of the thread.

I now use Mini Sports Allen headed bolt with high strength washer.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... .aspx|Back to

I have never heard of any problems with using the Minor starter dog bolt instead of either of the two bolts listed above so you should be perfectly alright.

A photo of your lightened TAM2011 damper would be appreciated for reference.
Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Hope this works, I have never attached a photo before. If not, I'm welding new chassis leg halves (38 inch repair legs) on tomorrow so I will try to get a better photo.
Attachments
s-l225[4].jpg
s-l225[4].jpg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Side view
Attachments
DSCN5499.JPG
DSCN5499.JPG (560.26 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Paul
Many thanks for posting the photo.
Any photos of your MED modified damper will be appreciated.
Could you please give the thickness (front to back) of the outer rim of the damper as that appears to be where the excess metal has been removed.
For comparison my TAM2011 measures 11.2mm.
Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Hi Phil

Its a bit difficult to measure accurately from the top of the car, I cant get a 0-25 in. Tomorrow it will be on a lift, I will have another look then. Using a bit of card and a pencil, I would estimate that its a touch less than 11mm. Before I painted it (sorry) it looked like it had a couple of wax? filled balancing holes in it.
You have to realise that I only fitted it when I rebuilt the 1098 engine to make it last a bit longer.

Paul
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Paul
Thank you for your efforts.
Fitting a crankshaft damper pulley to any of the 'A' Series engines is the best modification you can do.
It extends the life and smoothness of the engine considerably.
Phil

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Hi Phil
I have pm'd you.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Paul
I have replied to your PM.
Phil

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

When I put the 1380 engine into our Minor, I swapped the crank handle dog over from the original 948 engine. I do not use the locktab, but DO use Locktite on the thread, and torque up to the recommended 70 lb ft. Never had any problems, and it takes the full power of a 1/2" drive pneumatic impact gun to start to indo it!

Makes doing the tappets and setting static ignition timing much easier, and was a godsend when the starter played up on the Euroclassic run on 2 separate occasions. It's the only time I have had a problem with the starter motor, and both times we were a long way from home.
Richard

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Phil

I have tried to measure the outer rim with a 0-25 on a bit of an angle and the best that I could get is 11mm. If you look at the small picture above you will note two cross drilled (lightening or balancing) blind holes which have been filled with a rubber type filling.
Holes in front face at 3 and 9 o'clock on the picture

Paul
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Paul
Many thanks for the reply and measurement.
Having looked again at the small photo I would suggest the MED have removed metal from the front face to lighten the pulley.
If you managed to measure at an angle and got a reading of 11mm - measuring at a right angle to the front face would result in a measurement of less than 11mm.

The rubber filled holes I believe are part of the original rubber to metal bonding and have subsequently become exposed when metal has been removed from the front face.

The standard damper pulley overall weight has been determined so as to suit various 'A' Series engines - tuned engines do not necessarily need all of the weight of a standard pulley - the weight of performance damper pulleys is considerably less and the weight is determined to suit a particular engine and rev band.
Below is pictured the two piece damped pulley fitted to my 1380cc engine which compared to the TAM2011 pulley is feather weight and suited to high revs.
100_1237.JPG
100_1237.JPG (291.16 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Phil