Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

HIF38 possible fuelling problem

Post by moggiegeek »

Recently moved to hilly environs. A couple of times, taking the moggie up the steep prolonged hills its seemed to run out of puff. Power drops, musfires and prits back. 30 seconds later it seems to recover.
Could the incline stop the float chamber working properly after a longish climb?
Any other suggestions?
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Re: HIF38 possible fuelling problem

Post by callyspoy »

How does the fuel pump sound going up the hill? Does it tick more or less than normal? It could be lacking in pumping capacity, thus struggling a bit going up hill (assuming the throttle it quite wide open when going on the incline).
But it could be lots of things, not discounting your float also.
Timing, condition of ingnition system etc, due to the extra load of the incline exacerbating the symtoms that perhaps are not indentifiable on normal flat roads.
moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

Hi, yes throttle wide open. Fuel pump is new and hasn't given trouble. Electronic ignition that has been trouble free. Wondering about timing.
Timing only set up by guess and runs ok but slow to pick up on acceleration.
If I was to experiment with the timing should I try advancing or retarding to begin with.
And which way should I rotate the distributer?
Clockwise or anticlockwise?
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by paul 300358 »

Clockwise to advance. I would be tempted to advance the timing by a small turn of the distributer body then go up a steep hill to see if it pinks. I'm assuming that you know that the compression is good.