Air filter stud

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Air filter stud

Post by simmitc »

On the air intake is a stud to which the air filter cover is secured. I've seen a couple where the stud has snapped like this:
AF1.JPG
AF1.JPG (40.51 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Does anyone know how to replace the stud? Looking at the back of the plate, it appears that the stud may be keyed:
ADF2.JPG
ADF2.JPG (49.4 KiB) Viewed 551 times
I have tried penetrating fluid and heat combined with a drift, unscrewing, and a bench press, none of which seem to have made any difference. The stud is clearly steel as opposed to the alloy casting, so it must have been put in there some how. Before I resort to drilling and tapping for a new threaded stud, I would welcome other suggestions.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Re: Air filter stud

Post by SteveClem »

Had the same issue with my A30. Couldn't solve it easily so bodged it with araldite several years ago. It's still on the 'to do' list.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I unsuccessfully tried to remove one a few years ago, they are a very tight interference fit or the stud was placed in the mold before the aluminium was poured.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

I wouldn’t replace it. I would drill it, thread the hole and loctite in a new threaded section. I would expect they were made with the pin in place or it was shrink fitted, afterwards. The piece is clearly D shaped, not round, at the bottom end
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Cut a thread on the stud and put a piece of internal threaded tube (examples in links below) over it, then screw a new piece of threaded bar into the threaded tube so that you can attach the original butterfly ended female nut.
Totally inconspicuous and nearly original.
The thread can be determined from the female thread inside the butterfly nut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-16-UNF-RIG ... rk:39:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Threaded-Ins ... 0317217590